Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

Hello from Hunter Valley, NSW, Oz

After not having a SLR Camera since my Pentax ME-Super (when I went digital I went compact for price reasons - I've had a Canon IXUS 60 and Panasonic Lumix TZ10 - both adequate cameras) I still feel the need to get back into what only an SLR Camera can provide. I had my heart set on the K5 but wondering if I have been negligent in not considering buying the K-x - My quandry is that I don't want to outgrow the K-x too soon but wondering if jumping into a K5 first off would be too big of a jump ? I have 3 old lenses (Pentax M 50mm/1.4, Pentax M 28mm, Ozunon 75-200) which I know I can use on a new DSLR. However, if I upgraded I would like to buy a new lens that I could walkaround with - I'm prepared to pay a little more for a an upgrade to a kit lens - I particularly enjoy closeup photographing (wildflowers etc) but also the occasional family/portrait and landscape (basically everything ). As an aside a friend (who just got a Nikon) suggested I should go Nikon(I do like what I read about the D7000) however, already having 3 lenses for the Pentax is swaying me although not sure how much I'd use them if I bought a new AF lens with the camera. Any thoughts others want to share about my quandry are welcome. Thanks ! Btw, A great forum..

12-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums! My thoughts on cameras: I've been shooting for 5+ decades but never a Pentax nor a dSLR till I got my K20D just 3.5 years ago. I closely analyzed quite a few bodies from different makers. I studied user reviews of my candidates, and noted that Pentax users had the fewest gripes-bitches-moans-whines and cries to UPGRADE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I decided that the K20D, the top-of-the-line Pentax, offered the most bang-for-the-buck at the time, and also that I wouldn't be tempted to 'upgrade' anytime soon.

So, what to get? An entry-level camera that will satisfy for awhile but leave you wanting more? Or the best that's currently available? I chose the latter. I'm no longer employed. I can't afford to 'upgrade' -- I just supplement what I have (which now includes about 225 lenses). The K20D and K5 are fine prosumer cameras. The Kx and Kr are fine entry-level cameras. The K20D and Kx are old technology. The K5 sensor is just miles beyond my K20D and all predecessors.

My recommendation: Get the K5, the latest and greatest. Or wait till the next top-of-the-line is announced. Me, I wouldn't wait. Help this helps! PS: I'll rant about lenses later.
12-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm back, sooner rather than later. Your Pentax lenses are fine. On any APS-C dSLR, the M28 is a 'normal' focal length and the M50 is a great portraiture and short-tele lens. I don't know the Ozunon, sorry. A popular 'upgrade' of the DA18-55 kit lens is the Tamron 17-50/2.8. But for choosing lenses, I ask myself: What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have? The answers, when I bought my K20D, were: ultrawide, superlong and fast. So my first 'kit' were the DA10-17 fisheye, the DA18-250 superzoom, and the FA50/1.4. I've supplemented those with a Tamron 10-24, and that's still my basic kit. Your mileage may vary.

Meanwhile, I've mapped out a lens-buying progression:

1) Coverage - zooms to fill the 10-500mm range.
2) Speed - a few fast primes at critical focal lengths.
3) Specialty - fisheye / ultrawide, macro, tilt-shift, etc.
4) Character - some slower lenses just render beautifully.
5) Frenzy - whatever cheap glass I can stick on the camera.

Everyone here will recommend their favorite lenses. Some of the recommendations will even be rational. Don't miss the lens review database here -- click on LENSES at the top of this page. Give yourself a few weeks to digest it all. Have fun!
12-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome hopeful, I made the decision to get the K5 and so far have not regretted it at all. I've very limited experience with digital cameras and none with DSLR but within the hour I was out taking (albeit very simple and basic pics) with the K5.
The K5 has features and options/settings way beyond my current abilities but you don't need them right away. You can still set it up to use a full manual setting camera or with various levels of settings or even a 'green' mode which essentially turns it into a point and shoot, albeit a very expensive P&S.
Lots of really helpfull ppl on here and a good scattering of Aussies as well.

Last edited by Mychael; 12-07-2011 at 11:23 PM.
12-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here mate.
Lots of fellow Aussies here on the forum.
The K-5's certainly the way to go - and is good value for money nowadays.
12-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, mate.

The K-x and K-r are entry level camera. The K-r is said to be replaced very soon and you could wait to see the new model.

The K-5 is the semi-pro model. A great camera. I have myself the K-7, another grea camera IMHO and I have no real need to upgrade (yet).

Keep some budget to invest in some "good glass". A good lens is a really good investment and can give you nice shots. This is too often overlooked by new dSLR owners.
12-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thankyou all for the welcome and advice - much appreciated. One of the most annoying things is that no one stocks the K5's in this area so have to either travel to Sydney or purchase online.
12-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hopeful Quote
Thankyou all for the welcome and advice - much appreciated. One of the most annoying things is that no one stocks the K5's in this area so have to either travel to Sydney or purchase online.
Another welcome from a fellow Aussie (and a Novocastrian, to boot)

I bought mine from Camera House in Newcastle... it was expensive at the time (they dropped the price by $100 when I asked, but it was still exy) but at least I didnt have to go far if anything was wrong with it (happily, it was just fine). How far away are you?

12-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
I'm just out of Maitland
12-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think that one lens you should take a look at is 35mm limited. It could be your light lens for walking around as well as macro. I don't have one, but it sounds like a lens that would suit your needs perfectly.
12-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hopeful Quote
I'm just out of Maitland
Might be worth a run down to Hunter Street. (Ring first to make sure they have stock... even start asking for discounting on the phone). I got them to sell to me at around the same as DCW was selling at the time (and once shipping was added... a bit cheaper).

Don't get extra lenses from them, though, they are *hideously* expensive by comparison with almost anywhere, where Pentax lenses are concerned. For a walkaround, I'd recommend buying 18-135 from B&H, which as I type is $418.056 AUD (plus shipping which will be a bit less too, on the exchange. Watch the exchange rate when you do this... mind you, its still cheaper, most times, to buy lenses from the US, even when the exchange favours the USD. Of course in doing this, you take a risk by not having access to an Australian Warranty. I must confess that in 6 lens purchases from B&H I have had absolutely no issues.
12-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

+1 with kyteflyer.

I bought locally my camera (K-7), but I purchased all my lenses (but one) from reputed overseas sellers or reputed PF members sellers:
Adorama (2)
B&H (2)
Keh.com (1)
Pentax Forum marketplace (3).

I had had not a single issue to date (and I keep my fingers crossed). Certainly Adorama, B&H and Keh are very well respected stores among Pentaxians: Adorama & B&H for new itmes, keh.com and Adorama for used items (B&H as less choices in used equipments). As long as the Aussie dollars is high and that we can import without duty taxes un to AUID$1,000, you can have some 'bargains'.

Hope that the comment may help.
12-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I will give thumbs up to B&H, I've bought a lot of items from them and I've to say their service is superb. I had one umbrella bracket break and I got a replacement for free in 4 days. It was different brand too.

I don't think you can get service like this anywhere in Australia. Especially at this prices.

http://jarek.smugmug.com
12-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

G'day Hopeful from stormy Newcastle. Welcome to the forum. I bought my K7 from an ebay store, (Quality Deals - Hong Kong), and unlikely as it may seem, I had no problems whatsoever. I ordered the camera on a Friday night, and had it in my hot little hands before lunch on Monday. Cost, (a few months ago), was about $900.
It's a shame there's no Pentax represented in the Valley, which for me means that I'm somewhat unique when I get the K7 out of the bag.

Regards
12-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
It's a shame there's no Pentax represented in the Valley, which for me means that I'm somewhat unique when I get the K7 out of the bag.

Regards
Ditto with my K-5 (and previously with other Pentaxes). Maybe we should start a local Pentax users group. Aka PUG. (I'm kidding)