Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello from Toronto and Question about Dec. 10 Lunar eclipse

Hello from Toronto,

I am a K-5 user since the spring, my first SLR after using both film and digital point and shoots. I decided to move up to SLR for the increased resolution and low light performance. Since I often shoot in low light indoors or outdoors, after much research I chose the K-5 for its low-light performance and weather proofing. This site was helpful in making the choice.

Besides introducing myself, I wanted to see if any other Torontonians, or frankly anyone else in the the EST timezone have plans to shoot the lunar eclipse tomorrow (how do I figure out the time this will happen?) and pointers to know what would be appropriate camera settings. It is supposed to happen around moonset in this part of the world, which is 7:39 tomorrow morning. I've seen there's a couple threads about this elsewhere on the site, so I'll post the question there when I get a chance.

Looking forward to being active on the site.

12-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm wearing my Maple Leafs replica jersey today, incidentally. I was a fan of the team in general during the early to mid 1990's mostly due to Felix Potvin, Doug Gilmour, Mike Folignio and the gang, especially during the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Welcome.
12-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome. I never followed hockey much, but I do remember that lineup. Fun to watch, real scrappers.
12-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Torontonian! I found this post late, after the eclipse. I shot a lunar eclipse from Feb 2008 (One shot on my Flickr page) For your info, there is a social group of Toronto Pentax users: Toronto Pentaxians - PentaxForums.com which meet once and awhile.

12-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, NotSteve. I think you'll enjoy being here.
12-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello Avenger and Arn. Thanks for the welcome and the note about the Toronto Pentaxians group. I will bookmark that page. Oddly, I never really paid attention to camera brands much so it's kind of a fluke that I got a Pentax, but no regrets, in fact pleasantly surprised. Moving up from a point and shoot (Fuji F70EXR), of course I'm really pleased with its low light capabilities.

I'm thinking to try the photo a day thing to try and improve technique and my eye.

The epilogue to the lunar eclipse was that it seems it wasn't visible from Toronto.

See you on the forums.