Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Returning to SLR

I bought my first Pentax in 1977 or 1978, when I was in high school: a black body ME. I think I had just the 50/2.0 and a Pentax 135/3.5 with a 2x teleconverter for it. I used that until the mid 1990s, when I got a SF1n for my second trek to Nepal. I have a Pentax F 50/1.7 that came with it, as well as the Pentax F 35-70, and a Magnicon 70-210 f/4-5.6 (rebranded Tokina -- all I could find locally). I got a 3.2 megapixel point and shoot digital in 2002, and shortly thereafter went away from film entirely, which unfortunately at the time meant away from SLRs, too. I've been using a more advanced, yet small point and shoot digital the last few years; very handy, but, of course, lacking image quality.

I've been reading dSLR info for several years; first waiting for the technology to mature a bit, then just being cheap. For the last year, I've been following the K-5 closely, given the excellent reviews, and I figured that I had at least a starter collection of lenses for it. I got in on a Cyber Monday lightning deal, after approval from my lovely wife to pick my Christmas present. So now a K-5 with the kit DA 18-55 WR is waiting, wrapped under the tree (I'm more twitchy than the kids this Christmas....maybe we could open presents a week or two early, honey???).

I've also got a DA Limited 40 f/2.8 on order, as the old 50/1.7 wasn't looking too good, there's some internal spots on the glass...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Terrible case of LBA, and the camera isn't even out of the box yet. I don't suppose it will get better once the K-5 is unwrapped, will it?

At any rate, this forum has been very useful over the past month in helping me make the decision to leap back into real photography. I'll probably be mostly doing family shots, but I hope to be more active in street/hiking and some nature shots as well. I'm planning to begin shooting in RAW, so I'll undoubtedly have some questions there. I'm a long-time Mac user, and I've had a copy of Aperture which I plan to use a lot more...probably I'll run the RAW files through there, and keep my P&S workflow in iPhoto. We'll see. I'm really looking forward to getting back into this.

12-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums, and welcome back to SLR country. Now we can start helping you spend all your excess money on lenses. Fun fun fun.
12-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Welcome to the forums, and welcome back to SLR country. Now we can start helping you spend all your excess money on lenses. Fun fun fun.
LOL Thanks, I think.That's exactly what I need: help.

I think I better get busy shooting pictures after Christmas. I need to get a couple thousand images (a lot for me) and assess where I'm at.
12-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stens Quote
.maybe we could open presents a week or two early,
Or just 6 hours early, takes that long to charge the battery.

12-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stens Quote
LOL Thanks, I think.That's exactly what I need: help.
Here's my abbreviated spiel on how I accumulated a few hundred lenses (and sold off 1/3 of them) in a few short years: I have identified my 5 stages of lens-buying.

1) Coverage. My 10-24, 18-250, and 170-500 zooms really cover a lot of ground.
2) Speed. I got fast primes at crucial points: 16-24-28-35-50-55-85-100-135mm.
3) Specialty. Some fisheyes, some macro lenses, some mirrors, an enlarger zoom.
4) Character. Some old and often slower primes (like presets) just render nicely.
5) Mania. Whatever is cheap and interesting and possible to hang on the camera.
6) Reality. If it really doesn't work, sell it and try something else. Profit is possible.

So you look at what you have optically and ask yourself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have?" I looked at my advanced P&S and my answers were ultrawide, superzoom, and lowlight, so I started with the DA10-17, DA18-250, and FA50/1.4. I understand people starting with the DA18-55 plus DA55-300 twin-lens kit because it's a real bargain. I dislike swapping lenses at 55mm; I shoot a lot between 35-70mm. So one could either add a cheap old F35-70 to the kit, or start off with just the 18-250 (now discontinued but widely available used). Someone else's answers may lead them to the FA12-24, FA16-45, FA77/1.8 Ltd, and DFA100/2.8 macro. Others here will chime in with their own answers. It all depends on desire and budget and fate.

So tell what you want to do and how much money you have, and we'll spend it for you, no problem. I can recommend lots of good cheap stuff. Others will insist that only Limiteds count. We're all correct. Life is good. Cheers!