Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Just looking around...

Trying to figure out which is the better or preferred walk around lens... Pentax 18-250mm or Pentax 18-135mm. It seems to me more zoom would be better, but Pentax discontinued the 18-250mm for a reason; just don't know why. Maybe there is an advantage to the newer 18-135mm lens.

JB
Greenville, NC

12-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard! I just went through the same process and ended up with the 18-135WR. The 18-250 gets good reviews and all but its only available used, is not WR, and has the drawbacks of a superzoom (and its advantages). I'm enjoying the 18-135WR and looking forward to not having to come in out of the rain You've got a K-x (so do I as my backup for my K5) so the WR may not be as much of an issue with you. If I still had only my K-x and an 18-55 then I'd probably have gone with the 18-250 myself. Good luck with your choice!

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.
12-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RioRico, one of our top lens aficionados (owns 200+ lenses), puts the 18-250 as one of his most used. With that kind of zoom range you can get a lot of shots you might otherwise miss.

OTOH, with that kind of zoom range there are necessarily compromises in the image quality (IQ) of the lens.

Really depends on what kind of focal lengths (FL) you actually use. More isn't better if you don't use the extra range.
12-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ha, I'm invoked again! I could give my usual rant defending the DA18-250 -- it's the most flexible lens around -- it covers most needs, especially while traveling -- switching lenses to change ranges can mean missing shots, and the IQ of a missed shot is zero -- it actually is used by working pros -- and the DA18-135WR's IQ is no better in that range. The DA18-250 and its Tamron twin really are widely available used, and we very rarely ever hear of any build issues.

That said, it ain't perfect, and it ain't WR. That hasn't bothered me. There are ways to avoid getting gear soaked. It has zoom creep, but so do all my other long push-pulls, and that is easily remedied with a cheap elastic band. Its discontinuance may have to do more with Tamron than with Pentax, I just don't know. It remains extremely popular.

It doesn't do everything, just 80%. I derive that figure from counting pictures taken during a 2-month SouthWest USA road trip last year. I took 30 lenses but mostly used four: DA18-250, 80% -- Zenitar 16/2.8, 10% -- FA50/1.4, 6% -- M28/2.8, 2% -- others, 2%. The 18-250 has seen extensive use in city and country, village and wasteland. My most minimal kit contains the DA10-17 fisheye, Tamron 10-24 ultrawide, DA18-250 superzoom, and FA50/1.4 Fast Fifty. Throw in a Raynox for closeups, and I'm pretty much covered!