Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re-introduction!

Hi there. Maybe some of you have seen me before, but most likely not... I'm very seldom on here- I just pop in now and then to see what's happening, find help, and check out reviews.

My name is Julie and I'm a high-school sophomore from Illinois. I developed a liking for photography about three years ago when during the summer, I would follow my cousin's band around on their local concerts and take photos. Late summer of '10, I had enough money saved up to purchase my own camera- I went with the K-x. Shortly after that, in the fall, I fell into a bad stage of depression- my camera rarely saw use until the summer of '11. I missed out on a lot of photographic opportunities and improvement during that time. I have since then picked myself and my camera up and have been slowly progressing. By November, I had enough money saved up for a K-7 so I went ahead and purchased a used one. Not a month after, I used K-5 ad surfaced the local craigslists ads... The price was so attractive, I couldn't stay away. I worked my ass off that next week knowing that I was not going to let that K-5 slip away and somehow I managed to get every last penny I needed. My K-x and K-7 have found new homes and I'm now a proud owner of a K-5 and have gotten back on track with my hobby. Future dream is either a F 50 1.7, FA 50 1,4, or DA* 55 1.4 (probably not going to happen anytime soon, but oh well, a girl can dream )

I know all of you guys here must be old pros so I'm hoping to continue growing as a photographer with everyone's help and my own experimenting/trial and error.

Here are some of my latest photos, Super Tak 55mm 1.8, just got it cleaned and tried some tests with it (and some Pentax A 50mm 2.0.)

12-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back Julie! I especially like the 3rd photo.....
12-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I know all of you guys here must be old pros so I'm hoping to continue growing as a photographer with everyone's help and my own experimenting/trial and error.
Nope, a lot of us are old amateur hacks. But pro or otherwise, we're all in the same boat on learning and growing. Welcome back, congrats on the new kit, and glad to hear you've bounced back.
12-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Glad to hear that you have the hobby going again (in a big way with the K-5 and all ), sounds like an indication of things looking up as well as a way of getting out of the dumps . Snap #3 above is symbolic in a personal, positive way, I hope? .

12-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Beware of photography. It has no limits, no end. It moves from hobby to passion to obsession. Like computers -- there's always more to know and do and explore and screw-up. Welcome to the beyond.
12-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #6

Like the third pic as well.
12-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome back and to add to that........... a very good series of shots that look as though you've put some thought into the capturing of the subjects. Well done!!
12-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome Julie. You're not alone with the depression thing. I know that when I'm a bit low, I don't or can't take photos, but when I get the camera out and enter the 'zone', the world suddenly seems a better place. Keep snapping away.
Regards

12-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome back to the forum, do I qualify?

I'm certainly old and I photograph for a living.
12-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #10
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Old would be correct, but also just learning. Welcome, and feel free to share your photos.
12-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I like the 4th one myself. Nice shallow DOF. I see a Zuiko lens, 50mm 1.4 is my fav. I just have to convert it to k-mount.
12-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Welcome Back and Merry Christmas!
12-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Julie, enjoy it. I liked picture 3, specially. Deserves more that postage stamp size. Enjoy making pictures, and develop your own style. It is an art that rests on technology - but primarily it is art.
Merry Christmas - we are ahead of you here and it is Christmas today!