Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hombre from Michoacan

Hi all,

Since someone just introduced themselves as from Michigan - I thought I would throw a wild card in the mix and be quite honest in saying that I am in the beautiful colonial city of Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico.

I started in photography in high school, shooting 2 1/4 reflex and yes, 4X5 Speed Graphic. I went to college to major in photography, but family life got in the way and after many changes I ended up in technology. Still, I've continued to take lots of photos - film and a succession of of "point and shoot" digitals. I just upgraded to a Pentax K-r so - I thought I would join the forum and say hello.

Since I live in Mexico, my opportunities for interesting photos are excellent, but honestly a good photographer can find interesting points of view with shadows on a grey wall. My real interest right now is as much my writing as photography, but we will see where things go. I just completed my first day with the K-r and although I still have a lot of reading to do (300 page manual!!) - it looks like a very capable camera for my use. I have several film era lenses at our home in Sacramento, but I still have to figure out when I will take the time to go back and get them.

So, since it is unlikely I will meet many of you on the street here, this is my virtual Hola!

Mike

12-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! I completely agree that "interesting points of view" are much more dependent on the photographer then the environment, learning photography has taught me that. I would not suggest reading the manual from beginning to end in a sitting or 2. I have found the best way to use the manual is to use it as a reference guide. If you run into a problem look up the answer when needed. Enjoy!
12-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #3

Well I'd never tought I'd see someone from Morelia in the Pentax Forums! Specially considering the pain in the head that can be to get Pentax Gear over here.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this CaNikon country.

Oh also gives me motivation to finally Register despite only ever lurking in the forums.
12-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Another one? Staggering.

QuoteOriginally posted by theunmen Quote
Well I'd never tought I'd see someone from Morelia in the Pentax Forums! Specially considering the pain in the head that can be to get Pentax Gear over here.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this CaNikon country.
WoW! Now I am completely knocked off balance - You mean there is more than one (me)? No kidding about the Canikon Country - 99% of the DSLRs I see are the Canon models but I've assumed for a long time that was because it is what the universities use for their photo classes. I've seen a few Nikons and I think I saw a Sony once but - ziltch, nada, cero Pentaxians. I've had a Pentax Optio I have been using as my point and shoot for seven years now. It was about time to move up and Decide.com said two weeks before Christmas was the time. Of course, it helped that I had a business buddy flying in from the States this weekend.

So - nice to find I'm not alone here - but I'm so used to it I hardly know what to do with the idea.

Feliz Navidad!

Mike

12-21-2011, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #5

I hate to tell you this, but I'm not a pureblood Pentaxian... My preference to Pentax comes from owning a couple manual focus era film cameras.

I am actually part of the majority; my only DSLR is a Nikon I didn't have a choice back then.

Feliz navidad.
12-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

!Hola 'migo! Greetings from my cabin in the Sierra Nevada east of Sacramento. I have spent time elsewhere in Mexico and C.A. but was only in Morelia briefly. I can't wait to return, maybe next year. You are right in-between my friends in Taxco and the guitar makers of Paracho, so I have no excuse to avoid Morelia, eh?

We have a member in Guadalajara who (I think) claimed that used manual-focus Pentax lenses were inexpensive there. But that was last year. Maybe they are all gone now, ?quien sabe? When I drive there again, I will leave plenty of space in my car for lenses, as well as for a new guitar.

Welcome, and we look forward to interesting discussions and splendid photos. !Hasta pronto!
12-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
!Hola 'migo! Greetings from my cabin in the Sierra Nevada east of Sacramento.
That's interesting - Since I was born in Chico and spent much of my life in Sacramento. I've always loved the gold country and the Grass Valley/Nevada City area particularly. I've had many a family dinner at Friar Tucks and many Christmas seasons walking the streets up there and enjoying the scenery.

If I can get my lenses up here (and I say up because as you know - we're over a mile above sea level) from my 35mm Pentaxes it will be a fine day.

Keep in touch!

Mike

12-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelD Quote
I've always loved the gold country and the Grass Valley/Nevada City area particularly.
Nevada City is very photogenic, yes. We're a bit further south, below Kit Carson Pass. But we'll relocate for the winter to our adobe in picturesque Bisbee AZ on the Sonora border.

We've spent time around Parral (Chihuahua), Zacatecas, Guanajuato, Taxco, Veracruz, Campeche, Tulum, San Cristobal de Las Casas, and south, and have driven much of Mexico. We want to next stay awhile in Colima, Morelia, Puebla, Xalapa, Oaxaca. (I had enough of DF a long time ago.) And now I have more and better lenses to take! I can't wait to use the K50/1.2 and Tamron 10-24 in Taxco and Xilitla.

For those unfamiliar: Taxco [TAHS-koh] is a vertical village, formerly the silver capitol of the world, with the most splendid parrochia (mini-cathedral) and a Stygian marketplace that dives deep into the earth. Among other stuff. Xilitla [hee-LEET-lah] is an even more vertical hamlet that hosts Las Pozas, a British royal bastard's surreal construction looking like a cross between HP Lovecraft, MC Escher, and Salvador Dali (who stayed there).

If I knew when we'd head south again I'd offer to drive your lenses down to you. But that's too much uncertainty. !Feliz Navidad!