Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Anyway, enjoy your photographing... try your best to not let me or anyone else here corrupt you into buying too many lenses. It's a slippery slope and can get scary exxy if you don't have a budget!
I used to think that if I had a better camera, or a better lens...or even just a different camera and lens...that I'd be a better photographer. No such luck. It's the same as buying a new set of pots and pans and thinking that you'll instantly cook a better meal. Ever since I had that thought, I stopped buying things unless I knew I had a very good reason to do so. Example: when I photograph people out in the streets, I carry a tiny little Rollei 35 that I inherited. I'm not that good with it. I suppose I could go the classic Leica-clad route if I wanted a better camera, but all I'd be doing is dropping about $3000 into a setup that would take the same pictures as the no-cost Rollei. So I haven't bought something else. Instead, I had the Rollei tuned up, I bought a filter or two that helped me out, and I found a film/developer combo that got me the look that I wanted. I even made a cheap little wrist strap out of scrap paracord. I don't have 5% of the cost of that Leica setup invested, and I'm getting better pictures because I'm learning to use what I have. That's how a photographer gets better, I think...but most photographers don't get better. They just get lucky.

And now I feel all self-righteous and dignified...which means that I'll probably wake up at four in the morning with a craving for a new lens for my 645. I just put a hex on the whole damn thing...

12-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sundowner Quote
I used to think that if I had a better camera, or a better lens...or even just a different camera and lens...that I'd be a better photographer. No such luck. It's the same as buying a new set of pots and pans and thinking that you'll instantly cook a better meal. Ever since I had that thought, I stopped buying things unless I knew I had a very good reason to do so. Example: when I photograph people out in the streets, I carry a tiny little Rollei 35 that I inherited. I'm not that good with it. I suppose I could go the classic Leica-clad route if I wanted a better camera, but all I'd be doing is dropping about $3000 into a setup that would take the same pictures as the no-cost Rollei. So I haven't bought something else. Instead, I had the Rollei tuned up, I bought a filter or two that helped me out, and I found a film/developer combo that got me the look that I wanted. I even made a cheap little wrist strap out of scrap paracord. I don't have 5% of the cost of that Leica setup invested, and I'm getting better pictures because I'm learning to use what I have. That's how a photographer gets better, I think...but most photographers don't get better. They just get lucky.

And now I feel all self-righteous and dignified...which means that I'll probably wake up at four in the morning with a craving for a new lens for my 645. I just put a hex on the whole damn thing...

my self discipline is pretty ordinary. but it helps that i'm a total cheapskate (probably why I'm a Pentaxian, and not a Canikon user - I remember being flabberghasted at the prices when I first looked into them).

Can't help you with Leica or your other brands. But I'm sure lots of other people on here will help you out. I've never seen so many friendly shutterbugs as I've seen on here

I never thought about treating LBA like buying pots and pans. Sure puts it into perspective. Mind you, you won't get me frying eggs in a sticky pan. Non stick pan all the way! That's what I say...

I agree that often photography is about luck. Being there at the right time with the camera in your paws ready to shoot. Or bad luck in my case like yesterday when i had the shot all lined up and I'd forgotten to switch the damn thing on