Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Pentax Newbie

I'm not much of a gear-head and I only have one Pentax, but I'm starting to grow rather fond of the thing and I thought I'd actually register on the forum rather that simply browsing anonymously. So, thanks - belatedly - for all the great information that I've found, and thanks in advance to whomsoever manages to answer my forthcoming inane questions.

12-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join. The only inane question is the one you don't ask because asking creates learning.
12-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #3

i used Pentax 645 back in the 70's and unfortunately moved to digital now i am trying to get back into the medium format 645N camera. The ease of use and the quality of the equipment is awesome. I have photos from negatives that i created 30 years ago that are still as beatiful as the day i took them. Welcome and good luck with your photography.
12-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Just remember everyone has an opinion and most of them are wrong :-)

12-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Just remember everyone has an opinion and most of them are wrong :-)
Yeah, I get told that a lot, for some reason.
12-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SpecialK is wrong about the second part.
12-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Collins Quote
Welcome and good luck with your photography.
Thank you on both counts...I need all the luck I can get. I'm really bad at it...but it's keeping Kodak and Oriental and Sprint in business.

12-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
SpecialK is wrong about the second part.
*snarfs*

welcome to the forum. may your time here lead you down the merry pentaxian path without too many LBA hiccups. *grin*
12-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
I had to look up LBA. I'm not too much into buying lenses. I have one lens for my 645 and can only think of a second that I might want, and I have a tendency to only use one or two lenses anyway, even out of the arsenal of glassware I have for my Nikons. With that said, I'm probably going to start any day now.
12-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #10

I don't take as many photos as I use to but I am planning to do more in the new year. Personally, I think using youe 645 will make you a better photographer. I see so many of my friends that have digital cameras that shoot without putting much if any thought into their photographs. I find that with the medium and large format cameras force you to slow down and thnk about what you are doing. These skills will carry over to your digital photography. Like SpecalK said it my opinon and more than likely iit is wrong but maybe it is food for thought.
12-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Collins Quote
These skills will carry over to your digital photography
I own a digital camera? Huh, I didn't even know that! AWESOME! I love finding stuff I didn't know I had!

You bring up a good point...using the big film camera slows me down a lot. I was out with someone the other day that has a brand new D5100, and after two solid hours of shooting in rapidly-changing afternoon/evening light we totaled up how many frames we'd shot. Results: I shot exactly 32, because I only allowed myself two rolls of film...and he shot <drumroll> 655.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome, by the way. Great forum!
12-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sundowner Quote
I had to look up LBA. I'm not too much into buying lenses. I have one lens for my 645 and can only think of a second that I might want, and I have a tendency to only use one or two lenses anyway, even out of the arsenal of glassware I have for my Nikons. With that said, I'm probably going to start any day now.
Ah... my bad. Was in LBA frame of mind and didn't even think about spelling it out for you. Glad you found it out on your own.

"I'm probably going to start any day now" - *snarf* and so begins the slippery slope.

FWIW, I started off with the two kit lenses and stuck with that for 5 years.... never even crossed my mind to "upgrade". It's taken me this long to figure out what I need, and even now with my *looks at coffee table* 30+ lenses, I still don't know what I need...
12-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Forum Member

30 lenses! OMG and they said that K-mount doesn't have enough lenses! (I'm assuming they're all K mount that is)
12-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Opethian Quote
30 lenses! OMG and they said that K-mount doesn't have enough lenses! (I'm assuming they're all K mount that is)

30 lenses is nothing compared to some of the others here. Keep an eye out for RioRico and ducdao on the forums. They have 200-400 or so respectively I think. Mine's probably in the 30-50 range. I took them all out last night for a clean, but I'm not sure I've got them all there, since the count's around 30 or so and I thought I had 50.... In fact, the bellows and the enlarger lens are somewhere still in the spare room...

Having said all that, not all mine are k mount. A few are m42 screw mounts, which you then buy a Pentax adapter to convert them into k mount. See, Pentax originally made their lenses in m42s. Then they changed over to the ks. but you can still use the old Pentax lenses (and by default lots of other branded lenses with the same mount). So really, the world is practically your oyster when it comes to getting lenses.

Anyway, enjoy your photographing... try your best to not let me or anyone else here corrupt you into buying too many lenses. It's a slippery slope and can get scary exxy if you don't have a budget! Feel free to ask any questions you may have if you get stuck or want advice should you choose to get more though. TONS of expert advice on here that I for one have been absolutely grateful for.
12-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes I wish there were only 30 K-mount lenses. There are more than 30 prime lenses just in the original "K" series. There must be well over 200 K-mount lenses made by Pentax alone. Then there are all the third-party lenses ...