Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #1

New and would love more info on the Pentax K-5

I have been reading this forum for weeks because Im obsessed with the Pentax K-5. I currently own a Canon T2i (with an 85mm lens, a 50mm lens and a 55-250mm lens). After I bought that camera, to be sure I was in fact a Canon person I bought the Nikon d3100 along with a couple of lenses. Weird I know! I enjoy both cameras and I don't get stuck on any one brand as you can tell, which brings me to the Pentax K-5. I live in Florida and spend alot of vacation time in Colorado so I want a more advanced dslr that can keep up but something I won't have to worry about as much around water or snow. In doing research I found the K-5 and have been in love every since- Im a gadget gal! However, Im concerned with the sensor stain issues which I believe have been resolved but I don't want to purchase the camera only to have to deal with returning it and customer service depts. Secondly, how often does Pentax upgrade its models? If theres a new one to be released soon- I'll wait a bit. Anyway, I enjoy your pictures and look forward to your advice! Happy Holidays!

12-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aspyn11.
The Sensor stain issue should be a thing of the past. Check the serial number database here and you can see where the reports of stains started to disappear.
There has not been a new model announced yet, however there are always rumors.
The word is that their entry version K-r has been discontinued so we might expect an announcement of a replacement for that body, but no solid news on the K-5.
I am very happy with my K-5.
12-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank You so much crewl1 ! I have it in my B and H cart and my amazon cart I just haven't bit the bullet yet but I def will. Do you recommend the 70mm Limited lens?
12-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am still in acquisition phase as far as prime lenses goes and I have not picked up a 70mm yet.
My only primes at the moment are FA35 f2, 40mm Limited, FA50 1.4, 100mm Macro WR, DA*300 - all of which I would highly recommend.
Check the review areas and search for threads on that lens in the SLR Lens forum to see what users think.
From what I hear I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Limiteds. Wouldn't want to use them unprotected in the snow and rain though.
Look at WR's or DA* lenses if you need weather resistance.

Let us know if you pull the trigger on that K-5

04-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums and it's nice to see you had the opportunity to use Canon and Nikon gear. Yes, dollar for dollar the K-5 gives you more top end features and the weather sealing alone is worth buying one. Yes again . . it seems all of the issues were with early runs of the camera. Be sure to check the thread I started in the K5 Forum titled -> K-5 camera - No Issues - *Post Here*