Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Finally got a macro :D

Hi guys,
Just thought I'd join this forum as it was on the advice of some of these threads that I have finally bought my first macro lens

I went for the pentax 100mm F2.8 WR, which although sounding a little scratchy during manual focus (might need to get that looked at) is giving some pretty awesome shots This is the main reason I bought myself a dSLR so I am so glad to finally have had the cash to buy the one I wanted.

Thanks, Charlotte

12-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will enjoy the lens, I am sure. Welcome.
12-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Please don't be offended by this question. You're a new poster here, so I have no idea of your level of experience. I just had the frightening thought that you might be forgetting to flick the AF/MF switch to MF when manually focusing, as this will most definitely cause it to be noisy if you turn it while in AF mode, and also will strip the gears in the lens and/or focus motor if done too much.

Welcome to the forum, and feel free to share some pics with this new lens.
12-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Please don't be offended by this question. You're a new poster here, so I have no idea of your level of experience. I just had the frightening thought that you might be forgetting to flick the AF/MF switch to MF when manually focusing, as this will most definitely cause it to be noisy if you turn it while in AF mode, and also will strip the gears in the lens and/or focus motor if done too much.

Welcome to the forum, and feel free to share some pics with this new lens.
Hi, not at all offended dont worry, I've had the camera about a year.

I switched the AF/MF switch on the body (I've got a K-x), but the lens has quick-shift anyways so only autofocuses if you press the shutter button halfway (I think) the noise is really quiet sounds like maybe a piece of grit in the barrel but it was incredibly busy in Jessops today so have no idea if the demo model sounded the same.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Some pics (not the best but I'm learning.. and lighting the vivarium without scaring away the snake is harder than I thought!)

The last one is a wine glass that I thought was quite cool/abstract

12-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ah if it has quick shift, you're fine. No worries. I don't have a lens with that feature yet, so can't offer any more ideas about the noise.

Purdy snakes! DoF on the first might be a bit shallow, but the positioning and angle of its head are great.
12-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks yeah it's a shame she's in a black tank (and such a scardy cat) - that pic was through glass (hence the reflection from the right) at iso 6400, f2.8, shutter speed as high as I could have it and still focus .. As soon as I shone a spot light on her tank she was off hence the 'strike' pose. I will be taking plenty more though!
Am I right in thinking increasing the F stop increases DoF? I've never had to worry about that on my other lenses

Charlotte
12-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, a higher F number means a smaller aperture which means more depth of field. There's a handy DoF calculator here, just select your camera and start playing with settings, and it calculates it all for you.
01-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chailli_d Quote

I went for the pentax 100mm F2.8 WR, which although sounding a little scratchy during manual focus (might need to get that looked at) is giving some pretty awesome shots

Thanks, Charlotte
I also bought one soon after the K-5, and I very much like its larger aperture which, together with the high isos the K-5 can manage, might produce astonishing results. I just had the chance for very few non-macro shoots, but I like the one attached esp. because of its nice DOF effect (it's technically not really brilliant though - just an experiment with ISO 1600, f/2.8 and 1/60s, probably to long for 100mm and mid-distance).

Christian :-)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo