Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

FILM!! Its Back!! Sorta... I'm Dave

Hey Everyone,

I am fairly beginner, but hoping to throw down with FILM!

Before six months go by, I will probably have spent enough money on processing to buy a used pentax DSLR.

Within 8 months, my meagre budget will probably cause a photography hiatus.

Isn't film great?

Truth be told though... spending 25 bucks on film and processing enables:

at least 10 or 12 hours of walking around looking for great shots, framing my shot with prime lenses, thinking about the best settings and then betting my money and 1 of only 36 chances on the choice! I love it! I love the anticipation of getting my shots back! Throwing out 31 of 36, sure, but its in the thrill of anticipation before the results are in. And if I'm dilligent enough, one day I will only throw out a few...

Its an art: one that needs skill and insight. For me its not about taking a shot, instant results, and the opportunity for 50 second chances until it comes out right. I'm not against getting good shots and Im not against photoshop; I'm not even against digital really... but I think digital robs the actual activity of a little something for me...

And for 25 bucks it sure beats a popcorn and a ticket to a George Clooney movie, where yet again, he acts as... George Clooney!!

George bad, Film good.

All the best to all the different types of photographers,

Dave

12-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello, David--and welcome.

I think film is fantastic stuff. Shooting film is much like using a prime lens: it limits your options, which focuses your creativity. I also happen to think that digital sensors are even more magical, but I am quite glad that I started my photographic journey shooting, developing, and printing film. And then there's the fact that good film cameras are more enjoyable tools to handle than DSLRs. Gee. Maybe I should just get one of my Spotmatics CLA'd and see what happens if I run a roll through it... they aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

Anyhow. All opinions and approaches (to photography) are welcome here.

Cheers,
Jon
12-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

As an old school film guy that made a living shooting weddings, I'm still more comfortable with a roll of film than my new dslr stuff. We had to know what we were doing back then. No P shop to fix anything, no preview of the the shot ya just took, you just needed too know what you were doing. Now everyone is a wedding photographer. Stick with the the film, you'll be better at the craft when shooting digital too! Btw, not sure if they still make it, but my fav. film was Fuji Reala! lol. Best film I ever used! It was 0 grain for 16x20 and higher even! Nice for 35mm!! Good luck.
JJ
12-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
JJ: lol, your post made me laugh. I can tell you still love the film. Incidentally I did a quick search on Fuji Reala and the reviews are phenomenal. At the present I'm really focusing on black and whites, but I have a penchant for timed exposures, and after viewing this one site (I just searched for the link but apparently I lost it), I am really wanting to do some in colour at night. When the time comes I hope I can find this beloved Reala you recommend, thanks! In particular, its apparently unaffected by metal hallide lighting, which is neat. Im picturing star trails, lots of black, an architectural subject and some colour highlights...

Jon: Thanks for the welcome, this is a really great community on this forum and I appreciate it. I agree with you on the question of mutual exclusivity. I would probably buy a pentax digital body that works with my lenses to speed up the learning curve a little and to dabble in HDR and other photoshop driven methods... if only I could afford to do both. As someone that went back to school, I am in loathesome exclusivity, lol. Why not bring out the ole Spotmatic? I'd like to see your pics if you do.

Incidentally though, I find too many people kicking great things to the curb in the name of "progress"... maybe I am a new-era-luddite, maybe I've read too many Isaac Asimov novels...

For instance, my turntable: I love handling the records nicely, placing the needle carefully, getting up to flip the disc, caring for the storage and displaying my records. Just handling it all... its like that desire to pet a cheetah instead of just seeing him in his enclosure. I also like the continuity of analog sound and I marvel at the ingenuity of the device. Its not that its better than using youtube on my mac and using my fiber-optic connection to my high-tech pioneer receiver, but I just think it has its own merits.

I also have a 1932 scott squirrel motorcycle that has so much going for it that modern machines do not. I love the fact that the manual tells you how to remove carbonization from the pistons, instead of telling you your complex electronics WILL DIE if you so much as attempt to change your own battery. Paying 100 bucks to some jerk at Honda with a "car-computer" to reset the sensors... ITS JUST A BATTERY. Even tire changes require this now due to pressure sensors.

If I won 50 million dollars, I would buy a Brough Superior (*drool*), a large format film camera, a dog (*drool*... BUTnot one of those Japanese electronic backflip ones) and the biggest most sophisticated TV money could buy.

I just think that for 50 bucks, you can pick up a pentax ME or similar and have a great experience. Billion dollar marketing campaigns should not have the power to kill film, LP's, your bank account or simple mechanical autos... I like human contact AND forums. For anyone reading this, I encourage one of two things:

1) Enjoy your "old" film stuff AND the new jazz.

2) Liquidate all pentax film equipment to me for dirt cheap. I am prepared to offer pennies on the dollar.

Thanks to those that responded to my thread here, this is a very respectable forum, and Im thankful someone at 500px recommended it to me.

Kind Regards,
Dave

01-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #5

Hi Dave, I'm here for the very same reasons. I've spent 6 months looking for a digital camera that will give me the film 'experience', and force me to think in those terms. Finally, I came to the conclusion that I should just shoot film while it's still here! I can hunt for the digital equivalent once 35mm is dead and buried.

All the best,
Owen.
« Hi All | rdruda »