Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #1

Beginner with lots of encouragement needed

Hello,
This is my first post. I am not even sure if I should post here or under a specific subject. So, forgive me. I have Pentax K200 and just purchased Mecablitz 44. I want to move my flash off camera. Lots of questions and very little money :
1) Do I have to use a specific radio transmitter/ receiver for my metz? Can I use GI?
2) I am assuming I can use my tripod for a stand. What is the best/cheapest way to attach my flash to it?

Is there anybody who could give me a basic list of things I need to get started? This is all very confusing.
Thank you.

12-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

1) Generic transmitter/receiver should work as long as you are prepared to use manual settings on both the flash and the camera, PT-04s are probably the cheapest, but quite decent: I have been happy with them . (I'm not sure whether there even are pttl capable radio transmitters/receivers for Pentax?)

2) There are inexpensive adapters which attach by 1/4" thread to a tripod and by the hotshoe to the flash.
12-29-2011, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I also have the PT-04's and have had no problems when using them indoors. The PT-04's are available on Ebay and Amazon. The ones on Ebay are mostly shipped from China and Amazon is US based (ships faster but costs a little more).

Your tripod will work as a flash stand with the PT-04's, as the receiver will screw onto a 1/4" thread.

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04, 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver: Electronics

Tim
12-29-2011, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Your tripod will work as a flash stand with the PT-04's, as the receiver will screw onto a 1/4" thread.
Good point . Mine have the thread too but I had forgotten about it as the receivers have sat on the plastic mini stands (like these) that came with the YN560. (IMO the mini stands are also handy and inexpensive, they provide 'feet' and a hotshoe-shaped slot that allows the receiver+flash to stand on its own on floor, table, shelftop, whathaveyou. )

12-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you

Thank you for your replies. I will look up the thread and the trasmitter.