Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #1

Hello from Austin, TX!

Hi all, I just purchased my first digital SLR, a Pentax K-x. I used to do some amateur photography in the old 35mm days with a Pentax Super Program so I figured I'd stick with Pentax since I can use some of my old lenses. Plus the Super Program was an awesome camera so I guess I am a loyal Pentax user. Being new to digital photography, I can use any advice anyone wants to throw my way as far as making the switch to digital, particularly any neat tricks I can do with the K-x. I really enjoy taking candid portraits of people and animals, and I will mostly be taking photos of my 10-month-old daughter.

12-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome If you have any questions about the K-x, don't hesitate to post them- that's the best way to learn!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Fellow Austinite!

Welcome to the pentax forums. Sadly, there aren't too many Pentax'es in Austin. I've learned digital photography slowly, over the years, but one good source are the classes at the AMOA, Laguna Gloria. Here's a link to the spring photography classes.
PHOTOGRAPHY & DIGITAL MEDIA Classes - The Art School of The Austin Museum of Art
- Shel

This was taken with my Pentax K-x, DA15mm, a month ago, and is probably my favorite "Austin Texas shot".
12-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Shel! Love this shot, great job! I will look into those classes, thanks for the link.

12-30-2011, 04:27 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blueschick Quote
.... I will mostly be taking photos of my 10-month-old daughter.
Thanks for the comments on the Austin photo. The portrait lens I use is the Tamron 28-75mm, F/2.8. Perhaps someday I will trade up for a 77mm limited, but they're kind of overpriced, imho. The 70mm limited could be really neat too, for compact size. I was able to get a great buy on the Tamron 2nd hand, for around $250 dollars, and it is my favorite lens for people photos. Its reasonably sharp wide open at F/2.8, and is very sharp at F/4, and has large enough aperture to blur the background for portraits. The zoom range, short-normal to portrait telephoto, works pretty well for me. Lately, I've been using a two lens kit combination a lot, with the Tamron 28-75mm and the DA15mm ultrawide for scenery. This is my 3 month old great niece, over Thanksgiving, Pentax K-x, ISO1600, Tamron 28-75mm, 1/40th of a second at 63mm, F/2.8.
- Shel

Last edited by sheld; 12-30-2011 at 07:18 AM.
12-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
Nice picture, she's a cutie! I'm thinking I will get the DA 70mm/f2.4 Limited as my main lens. In my old film days, I hardly ever took my 105 lens off my camera, even though I had several others. It just seemed to work for everything I did. I compared the 70 to the 77 and the 70 won out on every count for me. Smaller, faster focusing, less expensive, and takes great shots from what I have seen online. Now if I can find a good deal on one of those I will be set...as soon as I figure out how to work this darn newfangled camera...haha.