Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #1

Hello from Qatar

Hi everyone,

I'm an American living in Qatar and I just got a great deal on a like new second hand Pentax K-7 with a Sigma 18-200mm lens. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet as there wasn't a charger with it and camera equipment in Qatar is hard to come by(and if it is available it's too expensive). This is my first Pentax, I just gave my first camera (Canon 20D) to my fiance in Japan in anticipation of buying a Canon 5D MKII, but I haven't found one cheap enough over here so I was holding off until I went back to the States.

I have no knowledge on Pentax lenses. I love Macro photography and I want to try my hand at wide angle. If you have a lens suggestion please let me know.

Anyway, as soon as I get that charger I'm looking forward to taking some shots and posting some of my (very amateurish(but I'm proud)) work.

Attached Images

01-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

Here's a listing of all the current Pentax lenses:
pentax-da Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
pentax-fa limited Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Feel free to browse that lens database for more information on older/manual lenses also- they are all compatible with modern DSLRs. There's also a load of Sigma lenses available:
Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Lens Review Database

We've written in-depth reviews of select lenses also:
Pentax Reviews | In-Depth Camera, Lens, Flash Reviews | Camera Forum at PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have you here Nick.
Hope you enjoy the forum.
01-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome and the links for the lenses. As an experienced Pentax user, do you personally have any recommendations for macro or wide angle lenses to use? I was browsing through the links and I saw that the ratings were pretty consistent with all of the lenses(8.5 and higher). Is it safe to say that buying one lens is just as good as buying another?

The above photo was shot with my Canon 20D 60mm macro, f4.5, 1/160, just to give you an idea of what I like.

I'm still very new to photography and only have a slight understanding of what everything means(least of which is f stop) so please bear with me.