Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from Richmond VA

Hi I just registered at the forum. I live near Richmond, VA and currently use a Pentax k200d with the kit lens. Also I occasionally use a Vivitar Series One 70-210.

Besides photography I also enjoy playing bass in several bands around town. I love to listen to world music of all sorts, especially African and reggae music and I love most other types of music as well.

I discovered the forum while looking for pentax lens reviews and have been coming here frequently over the past few weeks.

I really want to get a new lens for low light photography. I like to take pictures of local bands and my lenses just don't really do well in low light. I am really thinking about getting a 50mm f1.4 but the 40mm f2.8 limited is really interesting to me too.

Anyway nice to make your acquaintance.

01-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome! The DA40 is nice, but for your k200d a faster lens like the 50 1.4 in AF or manual would be better to keep the ISO value down.
Post some of your shots!
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
Hi I just registered at the forum. I live near Richmond, VA and currently use a Pentax k200d with the kit lens. Also I occasionally use a Vivitar Series One 70-210.

Besides photography I also enjoy playing bass in several bands around town. I love to listen to world music of all sorts, especially African and reggae music and I love most other types of music as well.

I discovered the forum while looking for pentax lens reviews and have been coming here frequently over the past few weeks.

I really want to get a new lens for low light photography. I like to take pictures of local bands and my lenses just don't really do well in low light. I am really thinking about getting a 50mm f1.4 but the 40mm f2.8 limited is really interesting to me too.

Anyway nice to make your acquaintance.
Welcome to the forum.

I've shot alot of live music over the years and yep you are lacking the fast lens.

Though i am primarily a prime shooter when i shoot live i most often use a fast zoom as moving around and zooming with my feet isn't always possible from the pit
you might want to consider a 2.8 zoom like the tamron 28-75 or the sigma 24-70. the pentax 16-50 would be excellent as well.

the 50 1.4 would be good, but be warned DOF on a 1.4 lens can be razor thin and nailing the focus in low club light can be tough - i find I frequently still shoot my fast 50s at f2-2.8 for the extra dof so I get more keepers

If you don't mid Manual Focus the MF lenses are a good way to approach this since you may end up manually focusing even with an FA @ 1.4 - Use Live view can help as well
much cheaper too an M 50 1.4 should be $100 or less easily

m 50 1.7 @ 1.7 (this club has worse light than my basement )

I also shoot my 14 2.8 a lot at live shows
01-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
Nice pic. Thanks for the advice. I am looking hard at the Tamron 28-75. That looks like a decent lens at a good price.

I am looking for some old primes on Craigslist and in thrift stores but no look so far.
watch the estate sales and the yard sales as well, in a lot of cases the deals will be evenbetter (and include several lenses - flog off the ones you don't want and your keepers could end up free.

01-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome from a fellow Virginian! Look forward to seeing your photos and hopefully some captures of the local area and scene.
01-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Lovely chickens and family!