Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Greetings from the UK

]Hi All,

I am the proud new owner of my very own Pentax K-r (although if the people of Jessops had their way i would be the owner of a far more expensive Canon, but thats a different story).

I eventually decided on the Pentax K-r due to the many reviews praising its image quality and stock lens, good backwards compatibility with lens (hoping to bag myself a few good bargain lenses on ebay, starting with a tele lens) and the very happy, helpful and informative nature of this forum

Hopefully I will be taking part in the weekly photo competition to help me get use to my sparkly new K-r and my photography skills in general and be a useful part of the community.

PDSC

01-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Congratulations on your K-r, and well done on resisting sales pressure to buy what THEY want you buy. Hope you enjoy the forums; it's a great community. No shortage of lens bargains out there (check our forum Marketplace too).
01-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Greetings back to you, and welcome to the Forums.

Congratulations on your new K-r. From what I read, it's a great camera all round, not just for starters. The 18-55 kit lens is not looked on too favourably by some on this Forum, but I used mine (bought to go with my then new *istD) to great effect on two Pentax DSLRs, and it was only supplanted by a DA*16-50, which I bought from a Forum member.

On the matter of lens purchases, I've bought from eBay as well as here, and I have to say that you will generally need more caution on eBay, although the range is greater there.

Good luck with shooting, and don't be afraid to ask.

Cheers
Rob
01-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome.

I have had a look on your marketplace and was tempted by a couple of the lenses up for sale but most are from the US and Australia and am just a little bit concerned that I might have to pay import tax/duty and VAT on them once they arrive here in the UK.

If anyone has any experience with buying lenses from abroad I would really like to hear from them as I would actually much prefer to buy a lens from someone who knows and is likely to have looked after it. Will happily re-post this question as a new thread in a different section if it will have a greater chance of being answered.

Thanks again for the welcome.

01-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
True, there are lots of Yanks and Aussies around here. But quite a few Brits also, and stuff does come up for sale from UK and Europe regularly. But do ask, perhaps in beginner's corner, about buying from abroad.