Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
G'Day

Hi everyone! Been watching and learning from (lurking on ) this awesome site for a while now , time to contribute something if I can, I thought.

My story, graduated from a basic old Ricoh P&S to DSLR about the middle of last year. The wife and I decided we needed a new camera and had been thinking of a DSLR for a while. I wanted Pentax, SWMBO wanted Nikon. Grabbed a mint *istDL with a couple of Sigma kit lenses off that auction site, just to see if I really wanted a DSLR before committing serious money and to see if I could distract the wife from the dark side . Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have since collected a K10D body, grip and a pile of lenses etc. The wife has been placated by a nice Nikon D80 and a few lenses along the way as well ...I still dream of the Pentax lenses I could have had for the money . Been great fun so far, especially learning how to operate the K10D effectively with M type and other MF lenses.

My main photographic interest, so far, is in nature shots, birds, flowers, bugs etc. So tele and close up/macro stuff. Lately I have been thinking more about wider shots, landscapes, architecture etc. Recently thinking more about low light stuff as well and dreaming of faster lenses and/or a K5. I have not yet ventured into any serious flash work at all.

My lens collection so far consists of Pentax DA 16-45, FA 100-300, F 35-105, F 35-70, A 70-210 (x2), K 55 1.8, M 50 2.0, M 50 1.7, M 28 2.8, some 21 (at last count) Tamron Adaptalls (also used on the Nikon), a few Sigmas, a few Tokinas and a couple of off brand things. LBA, I know. I am going to thin them soon ...maybe . I hope to discuss them in more detail in the lens clubs and review sections when I think I have something to contribute.

Thanks very much for the opportunity to join such a great community!

Paul

01-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Paul, and congrats for delurking! I used to live on the south coast (well, south enough - we were north of wollongong), and still visit often as we have family further south. Look forward to seeing your pics and discussions!
01-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing like a mixed marriage to spice things up a bit! Welcome to the Forums.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong (and a good deal right) with Nikon gear, but it just isn't for some people, in terms of ergonomics, lens prices and so on. Obviously, I'm talking about their non-professional gear, when I say that, so I'll add that there's nothing particularly special that I can see about their APS-C cameras, including the high-end ones. Obviously, you think the same - the halo effect is a wonderful thing.

I started out with a pile of old legacy Takumars and the odd other brand from film days, and I've still got the vast majority of them, even though they're swamped by more recent dedicated purchases. A friend of mine has a similar collection, and his philosophy is that the moment you sell one, you'll have a need for it (probably based on his traumatic experience after selling an LX some years ago).

Regardless of all that, enjoy your time here. There's plenty of good advice to be had (and a bit you'll soon see requires a grain of salt) and great potential to make new friends among the locals and others.
01-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome Paul. There's loads of interesting stuff on this forum.

Regards