Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello from San Diego, CA

Hi, I'm Ted, currently living in San Diego. Most of my photography these days is nature and scenics, in addition to family. Got into significant photography in 1971, shooting motorcycle racing in Hawaii, using a Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL and M42 lenses. Changed to the Pentax line in 1978 with an MX, but a Vivitar 35-105 zoom. Accumulated a K1000, LX, and a fleet of M-series lens (LBA). Added an SF-1 and a few AF lens. A zillion slides and negatives later, then a big slowdown in taking pictures, I moved into the digital age in 2003 with a Canon (ssh!) A80 PS, which has been replaced with a Canon A590is. A K100D in 2006 was to get me back into more serious work, but various situations interfered for a few years more. A restart in late 2010 got me going, and I added a 55-300 DA to the kit 18-55 DA, but for the beach I prefer WR capability, so I got a K200D with an 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR. (Way back in Hawaii, I would just wipe off the beach salt spray with a damp cloth and change lenses at a run with motocross dust flying all around. None of this WR stuff then for my mechanical equipment.) I'm looking at the K5 to maintain the WR quality and get the better ISO capability and some other up-to-date features that Ken Rockwell wouldn't approve of. In addition to selected improvements, I'm looking at deliberately pruning my lens and camera collections, which will be a first for me, as previous reductions have been by theft or breakage. But nobody is getting their hands on my Bokina.

01-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #3

Nice, another local, welcome!
01-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome. I think I read where Ken just needed a D40 with the 18-200VR...but that was years ago (reading anything KR).

Some nice subject matter in your area if you like boats, buildings, and Balboa park.

01-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I like Ken's idea of simplicity in your equipment. Hmm, that's the way I started - with the bare minimum of controls on a camera and a few lenses. I did end up with a large Tenba bag holding about 10 lenses and 2 bodies, but for most outings I took only a few lenses with 1 body. The trick is picking which ones to take. With only 1 zoom in my big bag (the M 80-200), that required hard choices, especially for backpacking. With modern zooms, a few will cover the usual range. Oh, I forgot to mention in my intro - I recently picked up the DA 12-24, finally recovering the wide end that I lost with the APS-C sensors.

Ken certainly has something to say to those confused by the overwhelming array of features in today's computer-cameras, and those who let the fancy features get in the way of paying attention to the image. But he does preach that one note very hard. I take his message to ultimately be - you must pay attention to your images, the camera equipment won't do it for you. The features, once learned, will help you in your image quest, but you are fully responsible for the results.

Ken is good to stop by for a bit, then you get along with your images. That's what it's all about,eh?
01-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums and I am from San Diego, CA also!