Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
G'day from Beijing

Hi everyone, my name's Nick, I'm from Australia but I'm currently living, studying, and playing music in Beijing, China.

I'm a new Pentaxian, having just purchased a K-5 and DA35/2.4. I figured that my upcoming wedding and honeymoon would be a good excuse to finally get that great camera that I'd been thinking about getting for a few years, so after a lot of research and contemplation (many thanks to those who share their knowledge on this forum), I decided to go for the K-5 sans kit lens, figuring that a standard prime would be more fun (better low light ability and shallow DOF) and would help me focus more on my composition.

I'm really enjoying learning how to make the most of this combo and I'm finding out new things every time I come home and look at the photos that I've taken that day. My fiancee loves what this camera can do and is keen to learn as well, so I hope that the skills that we're learning now will pay off with some great honeymoon photos in a few months!

Although this is my first DSLR, I did shot film on a Pentax (I think it was a K1000) back in high school photography class. It's been nice to find that I haven't entirely forgotten what I learned then

Thanks again for this great resource for learning, I'm looking forward to participating here and hopefully having some pleasing photos to share, and I'm steeling myself for the inevitable LBA that will result (my membership of talkbass.com being somewhat responsible for the presence of a couple of vintage Fenders in my apartment...).

Cheers!

Nick

01-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and congratulations on the fiance and the K5 & 35/2.4. I have the lens and like it very much. I'm sure with that K5 you'll get some great low light opportunities.
01-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the PentaxForums. That is exactly the combination I bought a few months ago as my first major body upgrade sans kit lens, and the K-5 and DA35-f/2.4 is a great combination. Not that you need the fast lens much for exposure because of the great K-5 high ISO ability, but the shallow DOF and bokeh are pretty good on it.

Good luck with the wedding and enjoy your kit on the h'moon.

Cheers from sunny and hot Cape Town
01-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome back to Pentax and to the Pentax Forums. Great combo, I was shooting with that combination yesterday.

01-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome!
01-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forum. The difference between the K5 and fiance is, you own the camera, however the fiance/wife never stops costing you money.

Regards