Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Yo

i wouldn't call myself a "pentaxian" but i love the fact that this company does neat things like make a decent quality DSLR in multiple colors, and image quality is all basically the same until you step up to a leica or something anyways so here i am. ive actually read teh forums here and there over the past year, but never had a reason to voice myself till now. i live in Porltand, OR and am somewhat of a cheeseburger connoisseur.

i mainly do stop motion with my camera, and as such could use some help finding a good lens for my style of work.
if anyone "in the know" knows which lenses have better reproduction of reds than the kits lens... i need a lens with a "magic" to it, better color rendering, and bokeh. i'm looking to spend maybe 5 or 600 max.
i dont care about distortions or edge sharpness so much as i am looking for an artistic quality and color rendition.
the 77mm and 100mmWR look most appealing to me right now, anything a better deal than those?

this is my latest project, shot with the da18-55mm, m135mm 2.8, and m50mm 1.7's, which i got dirt cheap, not knowing what would work and what wouldn't in a pentax, and don't mind the lack of auto focus since its all stop-motion:

(i guarantee you it's worth your time)

anyways, thanks for letting me say hi and share my work, and hopefully i can get some suggestions from you guys.
i can't offer any technical advice, but i can offer alot of practical and artistic advice if anyone needs it.

01-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Well done on the Video.

As for the lens with a budget of 5-600 i think the 77 may be ruled out in all likeliehood. (unleess you are very lucky in the used market) - it would be my choice between those 2 for "pixie dust"
for other (and in most cases) less expensive lenses you should have a look at the takumars (m42 not k mount) some of them are very special. I think my smc 50 1.4 and 55 1.8 are both superior to the M501.7 i have (though I wouldn't give up any of the 3) and the 85 1.9 is something to look for in this range
for non Pentax branded in the 77 range that renders uniquely look for the m42 porst 85 I've seen some pretty stunning stuff from this (relatively) rare lens
01-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
i'd be willing to drop the grand on the 77 i if had to, but only if i can't find something comparable for half the cost, i should have specified earlier that i dont expect to find THAT lens for 600.
i had the FA50mm 1.4, it was my first lens and i hated it, sold it, there was purple and blue around every damn piece of metal i pointed it at, and it didn't flatter my subject matter.
but i did just look up the 85, that's a verrrrry interesting recomendation, thank you.

i'd hate to start askign tons of questions, but i did notice there are many versions of the 85mm, and i am almost 100% set on a brand new autofocusing lens, is there a reason you specified the old m42? were subsequent versions worse?
01-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

well first there is no brand new Pentax brand 85 (an FL second was keeping to the price range you specified. As for differences subsequent versions would have been different not necessarily better or worse. Coatings change, construction changes...., the Taks are generally some of the nicest rendering of the old lenses.
85 tends to also come in 85 soft variants which was a high demand portrait lens back in film days, as you would expect it has softer edges sharp in the center (on apsc of course it's mostly sharp) - there were a few versions of this over the years and they are cheaper than some of the other 85's (Soft has for some reason developed a negative connotation in the digital age . Damn Pixel Peepers
For new 85mm there are 2 I am aware of
Sigma 85 f1.4 around a grand so same price range as an FA77. Bigger heavier and faster and well reviewed

Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

and the Bower/Samyang/Vivitar/Rokinon 85 f1.4 Manual focus but Auto aperatture. also well regarded and very inexpensive ($300 or less)

Rokinon / Samyang / Bower 85mm 1.4 Aspherical Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

not sure the AF is needed for stop motion as you said but it is handy to have for other uses

if cost is no object the FA*85 1.4 if you can find one is apparently a top performer (I've never tried one and have other needs at the 12-1600 they seem to be selling at on ebay lately (If a FF body comes out I imagine we will see a DFA reworking of this lens with WR/SDM and rear coatings)
Pentax-FA* 85mm F1.4 [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

01-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
wow, thanks for the info, i'm glad i joined!
also that pentax user review page for lenses is a godsend, it helps so much more than the big websites "technical" analysis, this is a wonderful feature and i'm grateful to be part of the crew in a sense.
after spending half teh day looking these over i think i'm gonna order the 77 or the 55* (weathersealing is a huge factor for me w/condesation and rain but the 77 just speaks to me), although the 85 looks interesting, i feel better getting something new still in production so i know i'm not gettign any scratches or mold or whatever, maybe im paranooid but it's my first nice lens that i can finally afford.
now if only there was somewhere in portland or all of oregon for that matter that actually SOLD pentax glass so i could try it out!
looks like i'm either buying with a return guarantee online or driving to seattle and making a little roadtrip out of it.
01-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dominikkolendo Quote
wow, thanks for the info, i'm glad i joined!
also that pentax user review page for lenses is a godsend, it helps so much more than the big websites "technical" analysis, this is a wonderful feature and i'm grateful to be part of the crew in a sense.
after spending half teh day looking these over i think i'm gonna order the 77 or the 55* (weathersealing is a huge factor for me w/condesation and rain but the 77 just speaks to me), although the 85 looks interesting, i feel better getting something new still in production so i know i'm not gettign any scratches or mold or whatever, maybe im paranooid but it's my first nice lens that i can finally afford.
now if only there was somewhere in portland or all of oregon for that matter that actually SOLD pentax glass so i could try it out!
looks like i'm either buying with a return guarantee online or driving to seattle and making a little roadtrip out of it.
the 55 and 77 are both great. you have the fl near the 55 covered so maybe start with the 77 (and for MF when shooting video the 77 has a better throw)
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
actually i do haev one question

so i have one importand question maybe you could help me with, if not i could always ask on some other part of this website.

so the fa77 for example would end up being like 115 on a k5 since its digital, and there isnt much of a difference between 77 and 115 besides crop
however, on a lens say like the fa31, that lens is intended to be wider angle than natural perspective on film, yet give approx a 46 on digital which is close to natural, so my question is... would this 31 (example) be "cropped in" but still retain it's angle? i know there is a word for it but i do not know the nomenclature.

i mean to say will this lens act like a 46 in perspective, or will act like a 31 but as if i was standing a bit closer to the subject?

this has been driving me nuts.
01-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

it will behave as a 46 would on ff so no wide characteristics
imagine a 35mm neg shot at 31. cut out the center and you have the same lens on apsc