Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #1

Hello from maker of PhotoAcute

I saw a discussion about PhotoAcute product here on PentaxForums so I joined to take part in the discussion.
(I'm surely do not mean to advertise it, just want to be closer to the users).

Cheers,
Eugene

01-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

That prompted me to Google "photoacute" so now I know what you're up to! (And I've dabbled with multi-exposure NR in the past...)
01-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums and let me say that I am a fan of PhotoAcute.
Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to invest in the software, and so I was wondering if I could convey some feedback and perhaps ask a few questions regarding the product in this thread?
01-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome. I, for one and just as a member, am always happy to have developers and makers of photo equipment available to answer questions. I'm even open to a sales pitch as long as its informative and not just a bunch of sales mush. So, welcome aboard!

01-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Welcome to the forums and let me say that I am a fan of PhotoAcute.
Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to invest in the software, and so I was wondering if I could convey some feedback and perhaps ask a few questions regarding the product in this thread?
JohnBee, sure you can post feedback/questions re PhotoAcute here (if it's ok with forum rules).
I'm subscribed to this thread so hopefully I should not miss the posts
01-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EugenePanich Quote
JohnBee, sure you can post feedback/questions re PhotoAcute here (if it's ok with forum rules).
Great to hear.
I'm going to take a few to gather up some notes and post them here shortly. After all, it's not every day that we get to speak with software developers uh... keyboard to keyboard
01-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Cool. I'm just trying v.3 out, and noticed that "lens profiles" are not available for most of my (current) Pentax lenses, and that the stated method to create them requires v.2...

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
After all, it's not every day that we get to speak with software developers uh... keyboard to keyboard
Having worked in the graphics software industry for a decade, count yourself lucky that it's "keyboard to keyboard." Get an image-processing type going on "laplacian pyramids" and "multiband blending" and it's time for a Starbucks run!

01-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

...And, we're back.

Looks like an interesting application for superresolution and other types of image blending, but i couldn't get a full HDR image out of it no matter what I tried. Dynamic range squished as if tonemapped (without tonemapping workflow on) every time.

Compared to stacking with my old standby for batch HDR creation, Photomatix (written by another good friend), Photoacute is clearly tossing the DR:

If this is due to the watermarking (quite possible, I guess), then I'll have to pass on testing it any further. 32-bit is my bread n' butter, and I was hopeful for combining better alignment and superresolution into my output.
01-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
and that the stated method to create them requires v.2...
Yes. The good news that v2 and v3 can be installed on the same computer, these versions do not interfere at all. V2 can be donwloaded from http://photoacute.com/studio/v2download.html
01-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Compared to stacking with my old standby for batch HDR creation, Photomatix (written by another good friend), Photoacute is clearly tossing the DR
Thank you for posting that. Looks strange, in fact, and I doubt it is caused by watermarking. What tool was used for measuring the estimated dynamic range? (so what tool is on the screenshots). Is it possible to get source images for testing? (if yes I'll send you a PM with options for upload).
01-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Thank you for posting that. Looks strange, in fact, and I doubt it is caused by watermarking. What tool was used for measuring the estimated dynamic range? (so what tool is on the screenshots). Is it possible to get source images for testing? (if yes I'll send you a PM with options for upload).
I used two tools to measure the DR. The screenshots are from Photomatix Pro 4.1, but I got similar results from Greg Ward's Photosphere utility. The histograms in Photoshop are pretty pointless for overall DR!

You can have the source images (in any format you'd like) along with my results. I can put them on one of my sites for download and PM you. (Gotta love unlimited web space and fiber internet!)
01-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #12

Original Poster
panoguy, thank you very much.
There's definitely a bug, we're testing the app with your example images and I hope we'll come with a fix soon.
01-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
Forum Member

Can the superresolution be used with Pentax 645 files? Thanks...
01-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jwoodland Quote
Can the superresolution be used with Pentax 645 files? Thanks...
Now there are no specific profiles for Pentax 645, but you can still try using super resolution with Pentax 645 images, with profiles designed for other camera/lens combinations. That can give good results. Also, there is a possibility of profiling any camera/lens combination, we need special sample images for that (read more here: Taking sample photos for new profile)
01-23-2012, 03:17 AM   #15
Forum Member

Thanks Eugene. Wow, that is a lot of work for one lens! I just sent my new 645d off to replace a defective sensor but when it comes back I will give this a try...