Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #1

Hello from Kailua Kona

Greetings from a new member. My first camera was given to me as a gift when I was 7 years old. I have been a Pentax fan for over 30 years, and have a small collection of Pentax 35mm cameras. [I also collect Graflex cameras]. I have lived in Hawaii for 23 years now. As a rule, I don't join forums. It is a time constraint for the most part. My reason for joining is a rather specific search for information. About two years ago, I purchased a Pentax ist-DL. I have used digital cameras in conjunction with film cameras for awhile, but I decided I wanted a DSLR to take advantage of the many Pentax lenses that I already have. I only took two pictures with the ist-DL, and it had to be put away for several months while I was recovering from an illness. When I brought it out again recently it would not turn on, and it seemed as though there was a battery problem that has been discussed at length elsewhere on this forum. Once I got that straightened out, the camera would not go beyond the set-up screen, and would not turn off. I shipped it off to a Pentax repair facility in Chandler, AZ. This where it gets really good. They shipped the camera back with a note that it cannot be repaired because the imaging sensor circuit board is no longer available from Pentax. It isn't that I did not believe them, but I contacted Pentax directly and just got a "we're sorry"--but that part is no longer available. They referred to the ist-DL as an "older camera." This might touch a nerve among other members out there as well. Hell(o)---it is the newest camera I own!! I was hoping that there might be some corporate program for making it easier than retail to replace this broken, non-repairable, camera with one that works. It seems odd that no one in the world has this part, [I will get a part number], even as an NOS (New Old Stock). Now I also am aware that if the part were available, it might cost more than the camera is worth to repair it. I realize that we are afflicted with a throw-away mentality, but in my opinion this one is ridiculous. I just checked on Amazon and the ist-DL body is still for sale there for $499. I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

01-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two suggestions to make: first, I recommend that you post this as a separate thread in the DSLR section with a proper title so that others will open it based on that, and second, it's really hard to read posts w/o any line breaks!

In any case, welcome aboard, I guess Digital cameras are replaced so quickly these days that I'm not surprised that no new spare parts are available for the DL. However, I'm sure you could find one in ugly condition on ebay for cheap and hand it over to the camera repair folks just to prove a point, though it will probably cost you more time and effort than it is worth.

As far as performance goes, the *ist DL is one of the lowest-specced Pentax DSLR models out there, as it was meant to be a budget camera. You can get a used K-m for under $300, and maybe even a K-x, if you're lucky. I would try pursuing those options!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cellman Quote
... I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions.
PENTAX *ist DS 6.1MP DIGITAL SLR CAMERA BODY/USED/1$ | eBay

I've seen a number of such deals come and go. My take is that you'd be better off grabbing a replacement and keeping your original for parts.

PS. don't overlook the potential of other camera's such as a K100 or K200 which often appear also.
01-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
Pentax ist-DL

Thank you, Adam, for your input. You are absolutely correct about the camera itself.
My life experiences are from a different era.
I will take your advice about posting. I've never really been involved with a forum before,
so the procedures need some getting used to for me.
Thanks also to JohnBee. I am already looking for something else. I had thought I might
sell this one for parts, but now I won't. It is absolutely pristine--cosmetically.