Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Winnipeg, Canada.

Hi everyone
I have a K-5, which I got just before New Year. I am new to the forum and new to the Pentax. I've decided to move to Pentax (from current Sony NEX-5) and will be buying the setup in a few months (any suggestions?). I am originally from Ukraine and my first experience were Russian camera Vilia-Auto followed by Zenith TTL, which I brought with me to Canada (1999). Back in Ukraine when I was a kid, I wasnít only taking the pictures but also develop them too. So I canít tell that I am new to photography, however there is always room for improvement. Here in Canada I purchased Canon SLR, then later on digital camera Olympus FE-300 (point and shoot). Last year before my trip to Mexico I got my Sony NEX-5, which is a great camera with a great video filming. The problem is if you need to take a picture in different mode or settings it is so complicated. Till you find the right mode the moment already gone and you might newer have a second chance. So this year I decide to go in to more serious photography and after long research (compressing to Nikon D7000) I choose K-5 with SMC DA 18-55mm WR (hope I will not be disappointedhttps://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/closedeyes.gif). I also have Sigma DG 70-300 F/4-5.6, my Russian Helios 44m-4 58mm f2 with PK adapter and Tokina SZ-X 60-300mm F/1:4-5.6, which I purchased for Sony, and that lens needs an adapter. Sorry for my English. Looking forward to being part of this forum.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

01-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome from a few miles west of you!!
01-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums fellow Canadian.

I think the K-5 is a very powerful tool. Of course that doesn't mean that everyone will feel thi8s way about the K-5 because we all have our personal ways of doing things. But, the camera has the most potential of all the APS-C DSLR's that I've worked with to date in terms of color, dynamic range and low light performance.

Unfortunately, I can't speak of the modes because I shoot RAW almost exclusively in manual mode. However, I've seen many people on the forums produce amazing portraits using the camera modes too. And so I'm certain you're going to be very pleased with your new camera.

PS. I hope to see some photo's from Winnipeg soon!

JohnB
01-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow a reply already. Thanks JohnB and Wheatfield. I donít have mach photos taken with K-5 yet. This one was taken this Sunday night by my friendís cottage at Big White Shall Provincial Park. Deer at night. - Pentax User Photo Gallery and this one was taken in the kitchen when I get the adapter for Helios 44m-4 58mm f2. So as you John when I have a time I like to shoot in manual mode. Still life: Fruits basket. - Pentax User Photo Gallery I canít wait when I get the MD to PK adapter so I can use Tokina SZ-X 60-300mm F/1:4-5.6. I did not take a lot of picture with my NEX-5. Because Tokina donít have the image stabilization built into the lens, but those pictures that I did took has a good sharp image and good colors.