Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from the Finger Lakes

Hi,

I live in the Finger Lakes region with my wife and three kids. I originally learned about photographer in a high school photography class (back in the 80's) where I learned about 35mm cameras and black and white film developing. The Pentax ME Super was my first SLR. A few years ago I made the transfer to digital with a Pentax K100D Super ... and yes, I am still using it today. I'll upgrade someday after my K100D shows some age and after the prices have fallen on the K5. By then the rest of you will be using something better. My wallet will have the last laugh. I also use open source software such as UFRaw for raw image processing and Gimp instead of Photoshop... I know, you'll all tell me that Lightroom and Photoshop are better. I'm sure it is, but I'll be using open source until my last breath. No, I'm not a computer geek or anything like that, I just prefer the open source philosophy. I'm not an expert in any of these fields (photography or computers) but still learning and growing...

01-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hello Mark.
Nice to hear you've been enjoying your K100D.
The K100 was my wife's first digital Pentax btw, and she really enjoyed hers as well. I didn't start shooting Pentax until the K20 at which point my wife had already gone through two upgrades.

Either way, I've grown to love my Pentax camera's and I don't think I'll be needing anything else for some time to come.

I also think it's cool that you're committed to digital publishing on cheap. Unfortunately for me, I was brainwashed to use Photoshop from as far back as the early 90's and haven't been able to look away since. And so I respect any and all who have the chops to resist the urge to take road less traveled by getting things done with open source.

Take care and looking forward to seeing you around in the forums.
JohnB
01-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

As a "cinema & photography" graduate of Ithaca College, I did all of my early learning about photography in the region -- great in the summer, but damn did it rain a lot the rest of the time. (I ran away to New Mexico immediately after college to see the blue sky again.) Everywhere in the Syracuse-Rochester-Elmira triangle I drove around and took pictures. Got lots of great shots of old falling down buildings in all the little towns. I've never been back, have always wondered what's left of some of that stuff.

Nothing wrong with open source! It is getting better and better.