Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #1

Hey Now, New to K1000 and Photography in General

Hello All,

For more than two decades, I have had an interest in learning photography and in how to play the guitar. It is amazing how I found excuses to not follow my dreams, even something as simple as picking up a hobby. I can take classes free at the local community colleges, and so decided that it is time for me to register and TAKE both a guitar and photography class. In the past I had registered for a guitar class, but always found a reason to drop it.

Well, I was listening to Rev. Michael Beckwith a few weeks ago, and once again, he was talking about unleashing creativity in cultivating a fulfilled life, and I felt inspired. This time, I registered for both guitar and photography classes. My resolve was mildly tested when - about an hour after I paid for a K1000 bundle that I purchased from a forum member here - I got a letter letting me know that my photography class had been canceled! I thought of just keeping the camera and letting it sit on a shelf until who-knows-when, and then I realized that I was finding excuses not to follow my dream of learning photography. So, I checked for another evening course, but only found one that is during the day. I registered for it anyway, and my first class is tomorrow. Right now, only my current car troubles will keep me from missing class, and I working to not allow that to happen.

I know nothing about photography, so I will have a lot of questions.

My Gear

Purchased from a forum member off Ebay last weekend: K1000, a Asanuma 35-105mm 1:3.5 lens, and AF280T Pentax flash with case.
Yesterday I purchased off Ebay: 1. Sears 50 mm f1.7 and 1. Super-Takumar 55mm 1.8 bundle.
I think I got a good deal on everything, with shipping being a bit expensive - a min of $10.00 on each purchase.

I purchased all of these without really knowing what the heck I was doing, but I had read that the two lenses I bought yesterday are pretty good. I am still trying to figure out if I can put the 55mm on the K1000. I saw the "
M42 screw mount," after I purchased the lens.

So, that it is it for now. I welcome any feedback. Thanks,
1000Keepers

01-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.You have purchased some good equipment.To put the m42 lens on the k1000 will require an adapter.What lens do you have that fits the k1000?You should be able to get enough information here and youtube to get started.Type k1000 into you tube and you will find a world of good information.
Jake
01-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Here's a link to the adapter which will allow you to use that m42 lens on your body.
PentaxWebstore.com: Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
Have fun and don't be shy to ask questions! Lots of info to search for on these forums, too.
01-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Welcome to the forum.You have purchased some good equipment.To put the m42 lens on the k1000 will require an adapter.What lens do you have that fits the k1000?You should be able to get enough information here and youtube to get started.Type k1000 into you tube and you will find a world of good information.
Jake
Hello,

Thanks for the welcome. The only lens I have in my possession is the Asanuma 35-105mm, which came with the camera. The others should be shipped out to me this week.

01-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cscurrier Quote
Here's a link to the adapter which will allow you to use that m42 lens on your body.
PentaxWebstore.com: Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
Have fun and don't be shy to ask questions! Lots of info to search for on these forums, too.
Thanks for the welcome and info! I certainly will ask.
01-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cscurrier Quote
Great advise

The K1000 is a great first camera to learn on, with it being totally manual. My first camera was a K1000 I still have it and use it tho not often anymore. It is now 34 years old.
I hope you keep your passion for photography and enjoy the learning
01-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Great advise

The K1000 is a great first camera to learn on, with it being totally manual. My first camera was a K1000 I still have it and use it tho not often anymore. It is now 34 years old.
I hope you keep your passion for photography and enjoy the learning
Thanks! I might have to come here for a little motivation sometimes , but I think I will stay on top of it. One of my co-workers is a photography major, so I will be seeking her out at times, as well.