Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #1

New K5 User

I have just purchased a new K5 and am just starting to learn how to use. I studied and read a lot of reviews prior to purchase and every rating gave it high rating and some high praise. Looking forward to learn all I can to master it use. I would like to buy a couple of new lenses for my K5. What would you recommend for a good to excellant general pupose zoom and macro lens. I have always bought pentax lenses - should I also consider non pentax lens

I own several pentax film bodies as well as screw and takamar I believecalled K mount lenses.
I learned of this forum while trying how to use my oldpentax lenses. I received from you what appears to be good instructions and will be tryingto use all my 9 old prime and zoom lenses. One of my favorites is my fish eyewith built in filters. I especially hope I can use this wonderful lens.
I amexcited to be a part of your group. I hope this old dog can learn some newtricks and take as good of digital photographs as I did with film. I havelearned it is very similar but also very different.

01-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums, and to the world of DSLRs. Great to read yet another story of a film Pentaxian bringing the old lenses to use on digital. Your fisheye -- the A/16 or K/17, I presume? I'm envious.

As to general-purpose zoom and macro -- lots of good options for both. I suggest browsing the Lens discussion forum, where these questions get discussed regularly, as well as the lens reviews.

Pentax vs. third-party lenses: of course the quality of Pentax lenses is one of the main attractions of the brand, but there are excellent third-party lenses too, so by all means have a look at what's available.
01-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Baro nite

Thanks for the reply
I have a SMC Pentax K Mount 15 3.5 I see from your link on lenses it is show and still worth $700+
Thanks for the link I will be spending time tonight reviewing all I can on lenses.
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, the K15. Actually not a fisheye despite the curved front element. A couple of these recently sold on eBay for not quite $800 each. (That was the rarer aspherical version.) That should be a fun one, although you don't get quite the same ultrawide field of view on the K-5 as you would on film.