Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
New K-5 owner in Vancouver BC

Hi, glad to find this community as I start to exercise my creative muscles again!

I have a photography background from back in the olden days, of film and 35mm / medium-format shooting. When digital-everything came along, I delved into other media -- broadcast, interactive, etc. -- and while I've been bridging the image-making gap with a series of P & S compacts, camcorders, iPhones, and so on, I've been missing the kind of detail, control and scalability of a really good still camera.

My film cameras were Nikon (F50) and Mamiya (C330) so this is my first investment into the Pentax system. What I really like so far is the intuitive layout of the controls and menus, and the relatively small form factor of the body. Plus, the weather in Vancouver is drizzly, raining or wetly snowing at least half the year, and the build of the K-5 & the WR lenses are perfect for this kind of climate. I'm starting with the 2 kit lenses (18-55mm & 50-200mm) that were offered as a package deal and I'm sure I will be learning a lot in the days and years to come.

01-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF! I agree, Pentax has an excellent layout of menus and controls. I have reviewed some other brands and it is fascinating to see how complicated and non-intuitive they can make things.
01-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #3

Welcome.The weather is terrible this weekend.I just got new K5 and FA 43mm lens.I don't want to risk my new toy. By the way, There will be Chinese parade at China town next sunday. You can try shooting the event if you have time.
01-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome messages, Ole and tojason. Yes, I have the Chinese New Year parade on my calendar for next Sunday; my mother is marching with a group of seniors from one of the Benevolent Societies. I would prefer to shoot manually overall, but since this camera is so new to me, I'm going to probably do most of my initial shooting in the 'green' mode until I get to know it better. tojason, are you in Vancouver? Do you happen to know about the local photography meetup.com groups? There is one group that will be gathering before and afterwards to shoot the parade as one of the themes, view each others' work and to share their feedback, etc.; send me another message if you are interested in more details. If the weather is good perhaps I'll even see you there? (we'll recognize each other by the K-5s we have strapped to our necks) ...

01-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
Interfaces on other cameras

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Welcome to PF! I agree, Pentax has an excellent layout of menus and controls. I have reviewed some other brands and it is fascinating to see how complicated and non-intuitive they can make things.
Ole, it's interesting what one finds intuitive or not. A few months ago I thought I would 'upgrade' my Canon A-620 P&S to an Olympus XZ-1. What drew me in was the beautiful, super-bright lens. But what is preventing me from using it more is how fiddly the menus are. So few buttons and dials make for streamlined-looking hardware but make it frustrating for users to get around quickly especially when one likes to have some creative control.
01-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #6

I have joined the meeting group for quite a long time ago, but havent been out with them due to my working schedule. I promised my friend to go out shooting the parade with him (he has p&s camera, but not interested in joining.). I probably will joint the lunch at Rosy. Are you member? I will be very glad to see you over there. I dropped my Pentax KX and broke the LCD screen after using it for 2 years. The K5 is still very new to me. I have a lot to learn. Have fun shooting with yours.
01-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, anthologie. I agree about the k-5, WR and our weather - especially today!