Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax User looking for another Camera

Hello there everyone in Pentax Land. I have been into photography taking photos since 2005. Started out with a Nikon 7600 P&S but dropped it after 6 months. I decided to get a DSLR and started with a Pentax istDL because it offered the same functions as the 2 bigger names but for less. I love how my photos come out. I currently have a k10D. I've entered a few online contests and even had a couple of my photos in the OC Fair.

My photos can be viewed at Picasa Web Albums - Connie Snider or http://facebook.com/constance.snider

My only complaint with the Pentax is that both of my Pentax cameras had dust or some kind of particles in the view finder...some don't show up on photos but some do (also spots that look like water started to appear on photos). I have had my k10 professionally cleaned (as well as the istDL) and the problem continues to exist. I dropped my k10 not long ago, and not sure what it is but my photos just aren't a sharp as they were before. So, I am looking at replacing it (especially before I go on my honeymoon to the Caribbean in September).

I was thinking about the Olympus E-PL1 PEN since it would be easier to travel with (or another micro four thirds camera), but it has poor reviews for speed shots and for low light shots. Anyone have any suggestions?

Happy Shooting,
Connie

01-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to check out our non-Pentax forum for more insight: Camera & Photography Forum - Camera-Enthusiast.com

AFAIK Pentax camera's don't have any particular problems with dust, though dust is a fact of life and it will eventually make its way into every camera in some way or another.

Pentax is coming out with a mirrorless k-mount camera, so I would stay tuned for that. Another great camera will be the Fuji X-Pro and the Canon g1x (not a MILC but still delivers high IQ).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I am used to dealing with some dust (you pretty much have to), it's that it's still there after professional cleaning that is annoying. Thank you for the information on upcoming Pentax camera, I had not heard that; and I will check out the other cameras you suggested.

Thanks again,
Connie
01-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Problem with dust is a pain in every camera with interchangeable lenses, but the professional cleaning you paid for was probably a very bad investment. The dust you see in viewfinder is probably only on the focusing screen. The dust you see in photos in on the ow pass filter. Both can be easily removed using the O-ICK kit and since the K10d is no Nikon, you can do it safely at home, following instructions from operating manual.
Ever since I upgraded to K-5, the automatic in-camera system of repelling dust from the sensor is much improved compared to the K10D. And it is smaller and lighter than the K10D. If you can afford the K-5, try it.