Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Newbie ahoy

Hi everyone just thought I'd introduce. My name is Matthew, from over in Australia, pretty much a newbie to DLSR photography so expect some stupid questions while i learn lol
First one is courses/help- what would everyone suggest to help me get the best from my camera? (pentax K-x with 18-200 Sigma lens)
Secondly- I have already determined i want/need a flash unit. any quick answers, or links to relevant threads already on the site would be appreciated

Thanks guys and girls

01-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hello Mathew, fellow newbie here. Welcome to this awesome community.
I'm no expert at all yet but that seems like a great setup to start with.
This website has a great database with boat loads of information which has helped me greatly already.
If you search in the forum you can find information any anything, it's awesome.
Also if you go to the Accessories tab up the top they have reviews on pretty much every compatible flash out there and also includes normal prices that would be paid for such a product, so hopefully that will help you with choosing the right flash for you.

Enjoy it and I hope you have a great time on here.
Damon.
01-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Matthew,

I'm new to DSLR photography myself, jumping in Dec., 2011 with a K-x (love it). This forum is fantastic with a lot of information. Just search within the forums, read some of the recommended equipment stuff, poke around. I've done a lot of Google searches for Pentax and/or K-x information with great results, but overall this is a great place to start. I bookmark like crazy saving sites under a "DSLR" category within my browser. One great site to get you off and running in DSLR photography is:

Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School

After reading many reviews and recommendations I bought vol. 1 of Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book" and it really brought me into the DSLR frame of mind. I just purchased vol. 2 of the series (still waiting for it). Buying volume 1 was the best money I've spent since buying the K-x itself. (I've read that vol. 3 is a little repetitive with info from the first two volumes, so I'll probably skip it. Vol. 4 is coming out soon.)

I don't know about you, but I was a little intimidated by the K-x with (like all cameras now) the buttons, menus, sub-menus and making it all work to get the shot that you're looking for. I would recommend reading the owners manual cover to cover. It seems boring but I read the manual with the camera right there with me and I would stop and play with the camera as it related to what I was reading in the manual. Reading and doing quickly took all the complexity out of the camera. If you don't have a manual you can download them online. Part 2 is just go out and take pictures. Don't be afraid to change some camera settings to see what happens. The "film" is free, right. After all the practice and shooting I've done, I find myself working mostly in Av, Tv and P mode. I'm changing WB and ISO to meet the needs of the conditions and it's becoming second nature.

The newest thing I've learned is the pop up flash on the K-x (and every camera, it seems) is not your best friend. It's pretty harsh light. If you go to Amazon you can read the first chapter (for free) of Vol 2 (ebook) of Kelby's book (red cover). It will explain what I'm getting at.

I've found some great used camera gear at my local camera shop and online. I love new stuff and I think you get what you pay for, but people are always upgrading and getting rid of stuff and I've gotten some real gems in the used market. If you have an older tripod (like I do) and you feel the legs are sturdy/stable enough you can bring it new life by buying a new tripod head. I did and it's like having a completely new tripod.

Enjoy!!
02-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good stuff this site looks great. People who actually care and are interested in helping. I will be ordering that book this week

Thanks again everyone