Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be easy on me...

Just check to see if this works...

I noticed Pentax is conducting a survey on the SDM lenses and that caught my eye. I would like to get an SDM but am a bit nervous to spend that money on something that might fail within a year or so. I am glad to see Pentax is at least tracking it.

I have a k10D with a couple of lenses (not counting the kit lens) and I really them all. I would like to step up to the K-7 but I really need to get myself a good zoom first. My 55-300 was a good purchase but I really need to upgrade it. I switched to a Pentax 645 (film) from an old Nikkormat I used years ago. I then purchased the PZ1 and liked that also.

01-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome. Not sure what survey you're referring to, but if it is here on pentaxforums, it is NOT conducted by Pentax.

As you're referring to the DA55-300, I guess you're looking at the DA*60-250. That lens seems to be less troubled by SDM failures than the DA*16-50, but that might be a matter of numbers sold. Personally I would buy an extended warranty when I go for a SDM lens.

Depending on your needs, you can also look at 3rd party alternatives from Sigma and Tamron (e.g. 70-200/2.8).

One question: why do you feel that you really need to upgrade the DA55-300?
01-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There was a mass email yesterday about the survey, it's being done by the site here.

QuoteQuote:
We are currently conducting a study to determine whether or not Pentax's quality control with respect to SDM autofocus has improved over the past few years.

If you own an SDM lens, we kindly request that you participate in this quick survey:
Pentax Camera Forum - PentaxForums.com

You can also view the survey results in real time to track lens reliability trends:
Pentax Camera Forum - PentaxForums.com
I don't have any SDM lenses, so I can't comment. Just passing along the link.
01-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yea I am glad to see Pentax is at least tracking that, I think its a good idea. I was looking at purchasing the 50-135 2.8. That looks like a great lens at a great price but I can't take a chance like that with $700.00+ and I would like to try to stick with Pentax lenses. I have my eye on the Tamron 70-200 2.8 which seems to be getting good reviews here on this forum. Anybody have a suggestion?