Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Hello from a lens dealer in Osaka!

Greetings everyone.

I joined PentaxForums on the recommendation of Clinton. My name is Ian Hobday and I'm a Canadian living in Osaka who runs an import/export business.

These days I deal with a variety of different types of items (and am working on adding more!) but the business originally started as a hobby, an extension of my passion for photography. It's evolved a lot over the years and is now an incorporated Japanese company with a US subsidiary, and we are licensed antique dealers in Japan. Most photographic items I sell are rare, collectable, discontinued, or only available in Japan. Some people here may already know me from eBay, I sold originally as ian.hobday, later changing to "gearbee" and now iBuyjp. Here is confirmation of my eBay ID history, and here is my current feedback. Unfortunately I don't have any Pentax items available currently but I have a few items incoming, including an 800/6.7, an FA* 28-70/2.8, and an FA* 85/1.4. I have made a yearly commercial access donation to Pentax Forums and will be listing Pentax items in the Marketplace.

Apart from the items I source and sell I also can track down specific items upon request. Some items are easier to find than others but I have many contacts in the industry here and am always willing to look.

Finally, if there is something you would like to buy from Yahoo Auctions Japan I can work as an intermediary. The cost for this is: (Yahoo closing price + domestic shipping + domestic payment charges) + 10%. Domestic shipping generally ranges from free to ~1000yen and the domestic payment cost is between 210yen and 420yen. International shipping (via EMS) is billed at cost. Everything is converted into US$ using PayPal's current exchange rate and I cover the PayPal fees. There are no additional handling or repacking fees and everything is checked and repacked into appropriate boxes before being shipped.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend and I look forward to spending time on the forums!

01-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, I look forward to seeing you post some of the A* and FA* big glass as you run across them.
01-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. I bet you'll have loads of friends.....

Regards
01-31-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been friends with Ian for years and I can personally vouch for him. You know that you will get a quality item from him and he will take good care of you.

Ian, good to see you here. Enjoy the forums!

01-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, Ian. Its good to have resources beyond what are available in some parts of the world, particularly for more unusual/discontinued lenses.
01-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From another Canuk ... welcome aboard!

Can't wait to see this monster 800mm lens ... please post a pic of it when you receive it.

Cheers.

JP
01-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome! Sorry for not replying sooner, it's tax season for me right now so the past few days have been hectic. Japanese business taxes are not a lot of fun.

The Pentax 800/6.7 should arrive in a few days, it promises to be a very interesting lens. I had an 800/4 once but this is the first 800/6.7 I've had in stock. (Did have a 1200/8 once to...)

I forgot to mention one thing in my original comment. I can work as an intermediary for service to Pentax Japan as well. If you have a Pentax item that you want or need to have serviced at the Pentax factory I can take care of that for you. No charge for this service, just the Pentax service costs and the cost of return shipping via EMS. Please contact me if you need something taken care of.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and happy shooting to all!