Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Khoff2 Quote
Thanks for the reply. Although the M 50mm can be had for cheap, I am concerned about quick focusing since I'm trying to capture TaeKwonDO sparring (moving around a lot). I would like to be able to use the continous focus feature while burst shooting. I just picked up a F 50mm 1.7 for $159 (with chipped filter thread). Although, not what I consider cheap (most are going for $230), if it works well and fast, I'll be happy. Looking forward to trying it out.
I didn't know you had already bought that one for sure. It seems to be very well reviewed so I would think it would work well.
SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Keh has a very good reputation too and they stand behind what they sell. I'm not sure if it was sold as is or not, but if it was not, it has a 14 day unconditional return policy (must be in same condition it was received) and 6 month warranty.

01-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

OK ... I'm GO for dremel and Nikkor mods ... where can one find info ? Merci d'avance, J Frog
If I recall right the lugs are a bit too thick. You just need to taper the under side of the lug. I have done it once but not on a nikon. you might find more info here.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/64271-impossible-lens-club.html
01-30-2012, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Where did he say anything about ignoring proper exposure?
QuoteOriginally posted by Khoff2 Quote
I guess I misunderstood " use a fast shutter, nail the focus, and fix everything else in photoshop".
OK, I'll spell it out: Always try for the best exposure possible, where 'exposure' is a combination of aperture, shutter, and ISO. Set a shutter speed that adequately stops motion. Set the aperture for desired DOF. Let ISO float as needed to get the shot. Focus as carefully as possible. Trip the shutter at the "decisive moment". Aim for perfection. BUT DON'T GET SUICIDAL IF AN EXPOSURE IS IMPERFECT! An imperfect shot is better than no shot. The IQ of a missed shot is zero.

Here's my basic guideline: DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO MAKE THE SHOT. And the MINIMUM requirement for grabbing a shot is that you nail the focus, get the subject as sharp as possible. Miss that, and nothing else matters -- FAIL. Nail the focus, and other sins are readily washed away. I've recovered (and sold) usable images from disastrous frames, much too light or dark. It's much better if I've done everything right; it's not terminal if I haven't. PaintShopPro is my best friend. (The dog died.)

Last edited by RioRico; 01-30-2012 at 11:27 PM.
01-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/64271-impossible-lens-club.html

Merci beaucoup
ripit ... I'll check it out ASAP, Salut J Frog

02-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, so here are the results of my new (well used) 50mm F 1.7 lens. First of all, thank you very everyone's help and suggestions. This site has been a HUGE help. I received this lens from KEH for $159. It was advertised as a chipped filter ring, no picture. It ended up being a little more than a chipped filter ring - more like missing half of the filter ring. Probably should have been less than what I paid since it had no lens caps either, but oh well. My fix was adding a 49mm to 52mm adapter ring. This way I can interchange the lens caps and filters with my kits lenses. It ended up screwing right on without any modifying (even with 1/2 threads left). I then added a 52mm rubber hood which covered most of the thread gap. My reason for this lens was taking indoor action pictures of my son's TaeKwonDo tournaments. The last time I shot his tournament, I used the kit lens, and had to shoot at high ISO 3200 to get a decent shutter speed. I was a little discouraged. So, after reading, bidding, and fixing, the results of this lens are amazing. I shot in Sv mode with a 800 ISO dialed in. The results were a 1/800 shutter speed at F2.5. Totally awesome! Here are some of the pics:

F 50mm 1.7 - a set on Flickr

ATA Tournament 02/2012 - a set on Flickr
02-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the vignetting due to the hood? I think it really suits those wonderful pics!
02-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Is the vignetting due to the hood? I think it really suits those wonderful pics!
Actually, even with the lens hood fully extended, there is no vignetting. That was added using iPhoto.