Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2007, 07:04 AM   #1

Hello from Louisiana

Well I have been lurking around this site for a couple of weeks now and then I finally joined. I am totally new to this DSLR thing and I almost fell into the Canon/Nikon trap until I took the time to go to an actual camera shop. Most of the "professional" photographers up there lean towards the Nikon's however they were quick to point out the Pentax. Like most people in my category that feel they need to upgrade to the DSLR and follow the trend I thought Canon and Nikon were the way to go. With that said I thought the guy was trying to move inventory and push some junk on me. I took the brochure and went home to start doing home work. Needless to say I discovered Pentax is a great camera, especially for the money. Also I always would hear my neighbor across the street gripe about the prices of the lenses for his Canon 20D so I decided to do my homework on lenses for the Pentax. I was amazed at how inexpensive they are compared to the specialty lens for the Canon and Nikon. Any way I am sold on the Pentax and almost pulled the trigger on a K10D however I think I am going to hold out to see what the K200D will have to offer and what the price will be. If it is weather sealed and priced with the K10D I think it will be the camera for my wife and me. I am sure I will have lots of questions in the near future. Till then I have a lot of reading and learning to do. I don't know diddly about photography.
Louis

12-31-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. (Anywhere near Slidell?) If you are just getting started, believe me that the K10D is plenty of camera for you for some time. Only with lightening fast shots, you might be dissapointed.
12-31-2007, 08:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
No I am up in Shreveport. I am originally from Baton Rouge, when I was a kid my parents moved up here.

That is one of the reasons I am holding out to see what the K200D will be all about. I know I will not be able to cough up the change for the K20D or what ever takes the place of the K10D. It will all depend on the price of the K200D and its capabilities. It may be more economic to go with the K10D for now. It is hard to not just get the camera right now with the anouncement 25 or less days away. I am ready to start shooting, like yesterday!
12-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #4

Hey cajuncutter, it's good to see more from La here (Pineville here). I am in the same boat as you trying to tap into these folk's knowledge on the DSLR.

12-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the friendly forum for Pentaxians of all experience levels.

I am going to throw my hat in the ring here and say that it makes little sense to wait. Think of the photos you will miss waiting for the next greatest.

There is a saying about gadgets and software: If you can buy it, it's obsolete. This is as true and as false as it has ever been. Get what will do a good job for you, and use it. The k10d is an awesome camera in every sense of the word.

In camera acquisitions, I have skipped numerous generations. I first bought Asahi Optical's first Pentax model in a pawn shop back in 1960. I used that camera, adding two more lenses over the years up to 1978 when the shutters started to leak.

I have purchased exactly five Pentax bodies in the last 47 years. In order of purchase, original Pentax, KX, SF-1, ME (light and compact for my wife's backpack bicycle tour in Europe with my daughter), MZ-S when my wife co-opted the SF-1 for focusing difficulty with her eyes, and the K10d because I wanted it.

When my father passed away at a young 102, part of my inheritance went for the whole line in my signature that starts with k10d. In the short time I have had this camera, I have continued to be impressed with its solidity, predictability and ergonomics. Oh, yes, it works just fine with every lens listed, even the 30 year old M series lenses.
12-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome Canada_Rockies. While I somewhat agree that I should go ahead and get the K10D I would like to see what the K200D will have to offer. In my large hands it feels great however I have to share the camera with my wife and to her the K100D felt perfect. The K10D was a bit large for her however the fact it is weather proof and we have a 3 1/2 year old and a baby on the way was a selling point for her. She is willing to deal with the extra weight and size for that feature. Another feature she and I were really wanting which neither of these models has is live view. Now I have already heard it from photographers both online and in person and after pleading my case the ones in person agree that live view would give me somewhat of an advantage. I bow hunt and find my self in situations where I have deer literally with in 15 feet of me, and I hunt on the ground not in a tree. Realistically I won't be snapping shots with them that close, I am sure the shutter noise would be about like taking a paddle and smacking them on the (__/__), they would run for the hills. It would be nice to be able to hold the camera chest level and look down on to the screen to make sure the deer are in frame to take the picture. It would be tough to put a camera up to my eye with 4 or 5 does and a couple of bucks around me, which is a lot of eye balls. Any way if the K200D or whatever takes the place of the 100 supports live view and is weather sealed that would be the camera for us. If it is not and is considerably higher in price than the current K10D then I will jump on it before the 31'st in order to take advantage of the promotion. I just hope they announce a price during the big announcement. Ok I am off to the woods, unfortuneatly with out a still camera. I do however video so it is not a total loss, just wish I could capture some high quality photos. It will happen soon
12-31-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

canjuncutter - There are things called "blimps" that are used by pros in theaters to hide the noise of the camera. I wonder if something like that would help you?

01-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #8

Welcome from another transplanted Baton Rougeian!
01-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
welcome cajun cutter from a shreveport transplant in Baton Rouge. Go Tigers
01-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
thanks Woody. I think you may be in a better place than I. Wana trade? By the way are you an LSU fan and if so going to the BCS Championship?