Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 03:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hi, never owned a Pentax, but want to learn

I'm between serious camers having had Nikons in the past. I'm okay with Nikons but see that Pentax systems are much more affordable for the non pro. I've been looking at the D80 and now the 300, but the prices quickly rise very high if you want any kind of system. Pentax intrigues me and would appreciate thoughts on D10X for low light. Some of the reviews hit Pentax for lack o detail in shadows and blown out highlights. Will the D20X solve these issues. I like available light I would love to have minimal noice in the 3200 iso range. Is that likeley on D20. Nikon seemed to nail it with their 300. Thoughts would be appreciated.

01-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I presume you mean K10D and k20D? well it has been said that Pentax has fixed all of the issues of the K10 with the K20. but I guess we won't really know until it is released....which is excitingly soon! I was between a Nikon D80 and a Pentax K10D when i bought mine. The K10D is easily a better camera than the D80, and I hear it has come down in price again since I got mine... then again I'm guessing you've got a few Nikon fit lenses!
01-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlanR Quote
I'm between serious camers having had Nikons in the past. I'm okay with Nikons but see that Pentax systems are much more affordable for the non pro. I've been looking at the D80 and now the 300, but the prices quickly rise very high if you want any kind of system. Pentax intrigues me and would appreciate thoughts on D10X for low light. Some of the reviews hit Pentax for lack o detail in shadows and blown out highlights. Will the D20X solve these issues. I like available light I would love to have minimal noice in the 3200 iso range. Is that likeley on D20. Nikon seemed to nail it with their 300. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you pixelpruner. Yes, it was late, I meant K10D and K20D. All my Nikon lenses are pre AF! I wouldn't be giving up much as far as usable equipment. I'm really a film guy but have enjoyed some instant feedback from having a few point and shoot digitals. In fact it's hard to go back and shoot film now. From what I've been reading it seems that Pentax has done a better job in keeping light and image at the forefront. I was disapointed that the Nikon D80 has scene modes. I started out with a 35mm camera with a broken meter. Some of my best photos were with that broken camera. I had to see the light, I couldn't rely on the camera.
01-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Thank you pixelpruner. Yes, it was late, I meant K10D and K20D. All my Nikon lenses are pre AF! I wouldn't be giving up much as far as usable equipment. I'm really a film guy but have enjoyed some instant feedback from having a few point and shoot digitals. In fact it's hard to go back and shoot film now. From what I've been reading it seems that Pentax has done a better job in keeping light and image at the forefront. I was disapointed that the Nikon D80 has scene modes. I started out with a 35mm camera with a broken meter. Some of my best photos were with that broken camera. I had to see the light, I couldn't rely on the camera.
Welcome! Here's a couple of thoughts.

If you aren't the type of person that needs the latest-and-greatest and if you want to stay with Nikon, you can pick up a D200. For a camera that's a little over a year old, I've seen it being sold for as low as $650-$800. Most of the sellers are people who are raising money to buy a D300! It's a vicious treadmill if you ask me because next year there will be the D400 to upgrade to...

In Pentax, consider the K100D. It also has the shake-reduction built into the body. It is 6MP but the Sony sensor is tried-and-true and it gives better high ISO performance (for low light) than the K10D. It can be had with the kit lens for about $450.

01-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
tranq78
Thank you for the solid advice. I hadn't even thought of the K100D. I was caught up in the latest and greatest, but the K100D would let me try out the Pentax system at a reasonable cost. My Nikon lenses are barely compatable - starting with the D200, and I'm not sure I want to start there. Good advice. Thank you.
01-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter

tranq78
Thank you for the solid advice. I hadn't even thought of the K100D. I was caught up in the latest and greatest, but the K100D would let me try out the Pentax system at a reasonable cost. My Nikon lenses are barely compatable - starting with the D200, and I'm not sure I want to start there. Good advice. Thank you.
The K100D is a good camera.

I think BeachCamera.com has the lowest price with or without lens. If you are in the USA (as I can see you are after posting this) there is a $100 rebate.
01-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The K100D is better than just good.

As far as having scene modes on the dial......Just do what everybody else does and ignore them. You sound like like a M, Tv, or Av sort of guy anyway. And the scene modes are nice to have when you want to pass the camera off to a kid or some other relative who knows beans about cameras and can't be bothered to learn. You just mount up the kit lens, select a scene mode, and say "Here....this is how you zoom it and this little button here is the shutter. Knock yourself out". It does a very good job when pressed into glorified P&S service like that. Meaning when you upgrade you can pass it off to a family member, still retain access to it as a backup, and have system compatibility between them.
01-06-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
Inactive Account

AlanR;
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find the people here friendly and very knowledgeable about their cameras. I think we all have been in the spot you are. for years I had nothing but Pentax film cameras. (Well there was a Nikon system at one time and a Canon auto focus )When I looked for a DSLR I started with Oly and then Nikon and then Canon. They were the three major brands in my area. Then one day I ran into a friend, and we were discussing cameras, and I said it's to bad Pentax doesn't have a Digital SLR. Well he straightened me out in a big hurry. At the time there was the istDL, istDS, and the istD. Thats all I needed to know, They were Pentax.
I bought the DL because of funds ,and even thought I moved up to owning a K100D My DL still gets a great workout when my wife and I shoot together. All those old Pentax lenses still fit and work just as they did on the film bodies. I love the low noise at high ISO on both of them. In my Humble opinion There is no other brand that will give you as much satisfaction.
So please look very hard at what you want and if you can wait for the 200D and 20D to be released very soon. I think the count down is now under 500 hours. You wont be sorry I will say that. Good luck and great shooting.

01-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
SpecialK and Mike
I'm glad I wrote, you offer some good thoughts. I'm not sure what I will do yet, but will post to let the Forum know.
Thanks