Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Greetings from Melbourne

Hi everyone,
I'm very close now to walking back into that store and putting down some serious readies for a K5 which I picked up and did'nt want to put down. First I need to get some advice on buying my first affordable lenses online. My previous 3 cameras have all been G series Canon's, great for what they are, but not suitable for use in varying climatic conditions. I do a lot of hiking and like taking macro and textural landscape photo's. The new GX1 seems to have the same semi-sealed lens assembly and will become another disposable dustcatcher. $220 to get them sent and get it cleaned/serviced... could have had a K7/K5 and a couple of decent lenses by now. I'm not well off by any means, but have to have a decent camera. Sony NEX7 was tempting but it looks fragile and is not weather sealed. So here I am.

The kit lens for the K5 Is the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR DA which is weather sealed, new and definately compatible with the K5

I'm really nervous about the compatibility of used lenses and K5's :

Or, I could just buy the body for $1100 and then get a couple of used
SMC 135MM F3.5 and M50 mm F1.7 Primes in Vgood condition for a hundred and fifty bucks. An adaptor and coupling ring for the 50mm should turn it into a reasonable macro, right?
Feel free to have a laugh and perhaps enlighten me on the best way to proceed.

Any K5 Pentaxian advice will be greatly appreciated.

02-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, if you pose your questions in the K-5 forum I'm sure you'll get the answers you need.
02-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks mate

Ta for the quik reply, learning already!
Cheers.
02-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #4

Welcome Tessl8d!

You will find that there are a lot of Melbourne Pentaxians there on the forums

I think you are pretty much on the right track with the lenses you have listed there. With a little bit of careful research I'm sure you will be able to get the lenses you are looking for at a good price.

As far as the compatibility of old/2nd hand lenses goes there is very little to worry about when it comes to fitting 2nd hand Pentax lenses to Pentax DSLR's.

I find the best places to research lenses are the Pentax Forums Lens Review Database HERE, Pentax Photo Gallery HERE and Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page HERE.

If you are still concerned or have any questions though us folk here on the forum will be more than willing to help you out

02-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanx mate,

Your quick reply and advice is greatly appreciated. I'll be having a good look at those lens links.

Cheers.