Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Another Frenchie onboard !

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone !

well, I just wanted to say hello and thank you guys and gals for my new addiction . Just two months ago, I was a happy single -your usual- white-collar guy from Lyon, France. I wasn't really interested in photography. My father had a Nikon F501 from the mid 80s, and I used to take pictures with it. But somehow I never really got into it.

Then, some months ago, I found myself talking about astrophotography with a workmate. His enthusiasm was really infectious (to say the least^^). A couple of weeks later, my best friends and I decided to plan a road trip to the SouthWest USA in april 2013. I started to read accounts, travel diaries, etc, and was totally impressed by the stunning beauty of the landscapes we were going to visit. I realized then I wanted to take my own pictures of those gorgeous natural wonders. So, it seems Fate was calling me back into the realm of photography.

Needless to say, for someone totally lacking any kind of experience, the obvious choice would have been to start from the beginning, start low and cheap, most probably a Canon or a Nikon. After reading trillions of reviews/buying guides, I thought that the Canon Eos 600D would be the perfect fit. And I had the opportunity of getting one by Christmas, but for some reason, I decided not to pull the trigger then. Then, Fate again stroke

I felt asleep one day reading a french photography magazine. When I woke up, I fell myself looking at a review of the Pentax K-r. Frankly, I wasn't even aware at that point that Pentax was still around doing business. To say that I was intrigued would be an understatement. And I really loved what the review said about the build, the performances. I started to look for more infos.

Needless to say, the more I searched, the more I became convinced that my first APS-C DSLR would be the Pentax K-r. So I went to an electronic retail store, hoping to find a good K-r starting pack. Unfortunately, there was none to be found. But, there was a really interesting K-5 pack. I've heard of course about this one. I knew how good it was, how complex it could be for beginners. I knew it would be totally unwise to buy it. But it felt so good in my hand, it looked so damn beautiful. I was really like poor Gollum when he found the One Ring I suppose . And that's why, against better judgement, the Pentax K-5 became my first APS-C DSLR (and my first camera) ever.

It's been a month now, but I'm still totally in love with it. I haven't taken that much picture with it so far, trying to learn as many things as I could before going live. But now, with my recently acquired 35 mm f2.4, and 55-300 f4-5.8, I guess it's time for me to start roaming the streets of my beautiful city of Lyon

Anyway, thanks for all the hints/advices I've found here.

Cheers !
Tommy

Last edited by Dreamborder; 02-07-2012 at 03:05 PM.
02-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Tommy and more importantly, welcome to the Pentax K-5 club.
02-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #3

Welcome indeed
02-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Good story and a great camera. Don't worry about it being too much camera for you, but I'd recommend putting it on tav for a while and setting the iso for between 80 - 5000 or so, or the highest you're comfortable with, and seeing what the aperture and shutter speed dials do. You'll hear this many, many times, so let me be the first to suggest getting this book. Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Bryan Peterson: Books. Lot of pictures in there were taken in France as well.

02-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from Poitiers !!!

Bonjour,

Welcome aboard and I liked your post ... sounds a bit like me.

I love my DA 35 f2.4 on my K-5, and my wife has the DA 55-300 of her K-r.

If you ever get anywhere near Poitiers, let me buy you a "café" and we can talk photo, etc.

Bien cordialement, J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-10-2012 at 02:08 AM.
02-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dreamborder Quote

I felt asleep one day reading a french photography magazine. When I woke up, I fell myself looking at a review of the Pentax K-r.

God moves in mysterious ways
02-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Your most welcome here, our two nations have an affinity, remember the "Auld Alliance".

I would suggest that you try to get familiar as you can with your camera before you go out to US, as I'm sure that you will not want to waste any time to take pictures there.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-09-2012 at 09:09 AM.
02-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF, Tommy. I don't call my K-5 "Precious", but I sure like it!
02-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
Good story and a great camera. Don't worry about it being too much camera for you, but I'd recommend putting it on tav for a while and setting the iso for between 80 - 5000 or so, or the highest you're comfortable with, and seeing what the aperture and shutter speed dials do. You'll hear this many, many times, so let me be the first to suggest getting this book. Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Bryan Peterson: Books. Lot of pictures in there were taken in France as well.
Thanks Wildweasel and I've already heard a lot (of very good things) about M. Peterson. Right now, I'm reading Amazon.com: Learning to See Creatively eBook: Bryan Peterson: Kindle Store. I'll probably go for Understanding Exposure next .

@John: Thanks for the invite. And of course, if you and the lady ever come near Lyon, we also have plenty of nice restaurants/café down here

@Arn: how can we not like it ? A true gem !

@kerrowdown: I will ! My main obsession right now is preparing myself for Antelope Canyon

@ Jim: this is a move I totally agree with !

@ fundudes + eaglem: thanks for the welcome ^^
02-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll love the Southwest. I live about 20 miles from Carlsbad Caverns and 45 minutes from Guadalupe National Park, both excellent places for photography. BTW my wife is from Chinon, I've always loved that area of France for pictures.
02-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rocdoc1 Quote
You'll love the Southwest. I live about 20 miles from Carlsbad Caverns and 45 minutes from Guadalupe National Park, both excellent places for photography. BTW my wife is from Chinon, I've always loved that area of France for pictures.
Ok, well, now I would definitely have to make another trip to the USA in a near future . Three weeks is just barely enough to scratch the surface ...