Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Coming back to the fold

Hello! I'm Isaac and I will be coming back to Pentax because of the K-01. I used to haunt the old PUG forums and posted on any number of things back then. I started out with a Pentax P3, then went to a K1000. Later on I moved to an LX. My last Pentax kit consisted of the LX, the 50mm f1.4 A, the 85mm f1.8 Tak, the 100mm f4 M macro, and the 135mm f2.5 Tak. I ended up selling it all once I fell for the siren song of rangefinders. Once I had used my M6, I really couldn't face going back to the "blinders on" view of an SLR. I've shot just about every still film format out there, from 110 to 8x10 and motion picture stock from super 8 to 65mm. I've always been a lens snob, that's why I have always gravitated towards Leicas, Zeiss, Kern, Schneider, and yes, Pentax.

I have never owned a "serious" digital camera, could never find one that I liked to use. I sold camera gear from 1997 till 2006 and got to be on the front lines as photographers switched over to digital. All of the digital cameras, both large and small, were too fiddly for my tastes. Too many buttons scattered across every surface. Getting live view was a step in the right direction, it got us out of the keyhole effect with SLRs. I have been thinking about getting my first real digital camera, but I couldn't figure out how I was going to use the lenses that I have been thinking about, the Pentax limited line. I really don't like SLRs, I had thought of using a NEX with an adaptor, but couldn't really work up the enthusiasm needed to deal with the kludginess of that setup. Then the K-01 was announced. It is the first digital camera that doesn't seem to have crap strewn everywhere on it. Well, OK, the first reasonably priced camera... I love the clean layout of the K-01, I like focussing on the sensor (accurate focus is far more important to me than the last bit of speed), and I LOVE the fact that the lenses I want to use will just pop on and work the way they are supposed to. My initial thought is to use the 35mm macro as my general lens and possibly adding the 21mm later on as an inside lens. I'd probably add the 55mm f1.4 later on just cause I'm a sucker for that sort of lens...

Anyway, looking forward to the reviews and image samples. I hope I'll have the money necessary by springtime to be shooting with Pentax again. Good job Pentax!

Isaac

02-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for that comprehensive introduction.
02-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
LOL, guess I got a little excited there... Still, looking forward to shooting with Pentax again.
02-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome back!

02-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, welcome back Isaac.
02-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Really nice to hear a slightly different viewpoint of the K-01, too. Thanks, Isaac, thats actually given me cause for pause in my dislike of it. Welcome back!
02-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Really nice to hear a slightly different viewpoint of the K-01, too. Thanks, Isaac, thats actually given me cause for pause in my dislike of it. Welcome back!
I'm actually taken aback at a lot of the reactions and I'm equally amused at the same time. Too many folks take this stuff too seriously, it's as if Pentax were deliberately antagonizing them or something. LOL, I'd never use a K-5, but I'm glad the people who like it have a camera they like I've gotten quite enamored with shooting with my iPhone but the results leave a lot to be desired, the K-01 is going to be a lot of fun and it should make some lovely pictures too.
02-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, you have an interesting take on things, I hope to see you in here more often.

02-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome isaacc7. You'll have your choice of great lenses, and so many of them aren't that expensive.
02-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
Welcome isaacc7. You'll have your choice of great lenses, and so many of them aren't that expensive.
Yeah, it's one of the appealing things about Pentax. I added up the price of the 35mm macro, the 21mm, and the 55mm f1.8 and thought that it was a serious chunk of change. Then I realized that combo was still less than a single Leica lens. The more I read, the more I think I could do the regular 35mm instead of the macro, saving me even more money
02-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plus, if you don't mind manual lenses there are a lot of older ones for sale in the Marketplace.
02-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Sounds like the K-01 was designed just for you! Welcome.