Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello from MN

Hello everyone, I'm a landscape phtoographer based out of Duluth, MN. www.ryantischerphoto.com The main reason I joined this forum is the research the 645D and available lenses, as I am considering this "big step up!"

02-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

Read our review to see whether or not the 645D is right for you. Pentax 645D Review vs. Nikon D3x - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

One of the areas in which it really shines is landscape. So from the get-go it looks like it might be the right choice. I wouldn't cross the new Nikon D800 off your list, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam, thanks for the advice. I've read the review on pentaxforums about three times! I'm shooting Canon FF now (5D mark ii), but if I were married to Nikon with enough lenses I'd definately consider the D800e. The 645D seems like a sizeable enough step up from my current gear (and a sizeable price jump too) to warrant the change. Do you have any idea where pentax/ricoh plan to go with the 645D and their new 645 lenses? I just don't want to make the sizeable investment only to find that they scrap the whole medium format digital project down the road.
02-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well, yesterday they announced a new 90mm lens for the 645D, so they are definitely not scrapping it. They also recently launched a new "Pentax Pro Service" network in the US, and they've also just announced new tethering software for it - see our homepage for details on both of these stories!

The Ricoh acquisition bodes very well for Pentax. Rumors have it that Ricoh is going to try to hit the pro market very aggressively next year.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam, that is very encouraging to hear. All of the camera stores I've contacted in MN have stopped selling Pentax because they supposidly layed off all of their reps in the area. I hope this means a turn around for them. I'd like to hear that the 645 30-70mm D-FA is in the works. Also, enouraging to hear that the 645 25mm D-FA might be shipping relatively soon...I think april 2012 it said?
02-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

April was officially mentioned, yes...it should be here soon enough! Being the widest lens ever for the 645 system, that lens should be particularly exciting!

Adam