Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

M42'er from New England

Hey Pentax Forum Folks... here's where I'm at:

Returning to 35mm film photography with acquisition of a pretty solid Spotmatic SP2, and have found the forum very helpful in the camera and lens selection process, so decided to join. Learned photography originally on what was at the time a very cool, all black Ricoh Singlex TLS -- similar stop-down manual M42 camera.

Also have just started experimenting with 35mm half-frame and lomography techniques..

Love vintage cameras -- have a few, currently ranging in time from an Olympus PEN EE-S (half-frame), to Ricoh Singlex TLS, to a newish but all metal Canon Classic 120. Also have a small set of vintage 100% selenium (no batteries!) meters, suitable for outdoors.

My Spotmatic SP2 came with a very clean S-M-C Tak 55/1.8 (presumably with thoriated glass, but no discernable signs of yellowing yet).

Am all over the map when it comes to other M42 lenses -- buying and trying out a variety of oldie but goodies, with a haphazard bias in favor of Vivitar, Chinon, Rikenon classics... hoping to learn more here and learn more about the Tak's and which ones are worthwhile vs. cost.

Enjoy B+W, but currently am limited to the usual C41 suspects (Ilford XP2, Kodak BW400CN, anything else?), as I don't have a darkroom and haven't worked out a cost effective alternative. Used to do all my B+W developing and printing back in the day... can't even get my local mini-lab guys, (who are old school and very sympathetic), to print on black and white paper. Will be interested to see if forum folks have ideas for portable/mini-darkroom setups, or perhaps others here have creative approaches to shooting B+W film without a home darkroom.

Thanks to all of you for posting such great information -- very helpful as I was going through the process of researching the SP2 choice and M42 lenses.

02-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, please enjoy your stay.
02-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Hi dfish - for some serious M42 beauty go to ebay.de and look for Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. Also, the Soviets made some famously lovely M42 lenses, and the best known of these is called the Helios. The Helios is getting better known so buy carefully from international sellers.

You can also get a very cheap adapter for these wonderful lenses to use with K-mount cameras.
02-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Hi dfish - for some serious M42 beauty go to ebay.de and look for Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. Also, the Soviets made some famously lovely M42 lenses, and the best known of these is called the Helios. The Helios is getting better known so buy carefully from international sellers.

You can also get a very cheap adapter for these wonderful lenses to use with K-mount cameras.
Thanks... Will check them out