Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The Once and Future Pentax User

Hi,
I have a long and boring story, but I'll dial it down to: I'm a longtime photography enthusiast (who here isn't?), old enough to have been trained in a traditional darkroom in art school (although photography was not my major.) My first DSLR was a Pentax, which I loved. I "traded up" to a Nikon, which I did not like at all.

I was a fine art painter, who used photography as a fun secondary outlet. I was not ever very serious about it. I took photos for reference for my paintings and for family photos. Then I got sick, and it turned out to be multiple sclerosis, and I could no longer paint. I didn't do it consciously but I wound up turning to photography as my primary creative outlet. It's been very therapeutic. My Nikon DSLR was completely useless, though. My eyes were damaged in the attacks leading up to my MS diagnosis, so digging through menus and trying to keep track of little numbers flashing by in a tiny viewfinder was, at best, painful. I sold it and used the funds to buy an old East German medium format SLR system camera.

And actually, that's what I've been shooting exclusively with the exception of whatever I do with my iPhone, film. I've got an old Ricoh KR-5 Super, which is a K-mount SLR from around 1979, and it is a nice, lightweight little workhorse. I've also got a Rolleicord and a large variety of other film cameras.

Anyway, I am here because I am excited about the newly announced Pentax K-01. I know a lot of people think it's ugly or it looks like a toy or think it's targeted at people who just aren't so SMRT at takin' pikturs or whatever, but for me, it has pretty much about anything I could ask for in a digicam. It's like Pentax called me up and asked for my opinions. I'll be getting one as soon as I can. There are no DSLRs of any brand, or any other mirrorless cameras on my list.

Nice to meet everyone.

02-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it's good to see you've found a new lease on life through Pentax.