Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
More Thanks than Hello

I've already posted a few times in a few of the forums, but I figured I ought to say a proper hello and more importantly just say thanks to Adam and all the other regulars and irregulars who contribute so much to this site.

I used to do a fair amount of SLR shooting with my Maxxum 9000 and just 2 lenses - a 50 f1.7 and a heavy but much loved Sigma 70-200 f2.8-3.5. Someday I'll find a cost effective analog for my Pentax. Over the past 10 years or so I've used the SLR less and less, and switched to a bunch of point and shoots. But I wanted to get back into higher end photography.

I ended up a K-5 owner by chance. My original plan was a high end point and shoot, or maybe given the end of year sales a DSLR. Had Sony's better Alphas made it to Canada I might have bought one, but I still don't know if the Sigma lens will work on one. I know it doesn't work on their SLT system. So I started by looking at the reviews for the Canon and Nikon systems, but anything with good enough specs was going to blow the budget. I even got to play with a Canon that my friend bought, but didn't like the way it felt in my hand.

When the K-5 prices significantly dropped in the Toronto area at the start of this year, I had vague thoughts of buying one. Then I thought - budget, who needs a budget - and so not only did I get a K-5 but upgraded from the kit DA L lens to the WR version because it felt so much better in my hands.

There is a lot of good Pentax information on the web, but nowhere is it so well concentrated as here. Kudos Adam.

While I haven't developed a full blown case of lens buying addiction (LBA), I've certainly got a case of lens browsing addition. Last night I picked up a couple of KA lenses fully armed with the information on how each mount could be used with a K-5, and with a copy of RioRico's "Pawnshop Lenses" posting (May 5, 2009 - if you haven't read it, do so as it isn't just informative but quite funny). Because of this site I knew they were more than fairly priced, and even better they proved to be in mint condition. So I've now got a SMC-A 28 2.8 (which I'm going to love using), and a SMC-A 70-210 f4, which I'm sure will prove handy on occasion. I definitely avoiding buying a lot of less than ideal lenses through the information I picked up on this site. Kudos again Adam and all those who have filled out lens reviews.

So that's my extended hello, and thanks to all who keep this a friendly and supportive place to learn and share.

Marc

02-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the world of Pentax (and PentaxForums), Marc! As you've already discovered, there's a great group of helpful folks here! And, watch out! LBA has a way of sneaking up on you!!
02-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Hi Marc, you picked out a wonderful DSLR in the K5, that is for sure. It's always nice to see another Canadian join the forum; Welcome! And like Chip B inferred...good luck avoiding the LBA!