Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A dedicated Pentax shooter

Since I haven't done it, I wanted to take a second and introduce myself.

I'm located in the East Tennessee mountain country (near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park).

I primarily shoot a Pentax K100D, but I've also taken up shooting my Pentax MX and a little plastic TLR I built from a kit. Right now the camera/lens combination that I use most is the K100D with a 35mm 2.4. I like my Pentax gear, but I'm keenly aware of the fact that all cameras are merely a (semi)light-tight box with a light-sensitive medium mounted inside opposite an aperture and shutter (i.e., I buy Pentax, but I don't really care what I'm shooting).

For a little insight into where I stand photographically, read on.

About 8 years ago, I started to really enjoy taking photos. That progressed into a lot of self study that culminated in a two year off-period where I really hated everything I shot, but I blamed all the gear I didn't have ("If I only had a Nikon D3..."). Thankfully, I experienced a thaw in the last couple of months and I'm beginning to actually use the gear I do have (not that I don't still lust after the hot rigs). Honestly, I think I've learned and done more with my photography in the last 6 months than all of the last decade. I recently collected all my stuff and started going through it all in an effort to get a decent portfolio together or maybe find an outlet for my photos that could help finance new gear. Until then, I thought I might play around in some forums just to keep learning and to keep on top of the latest gear. I'm also looking to drag out some of my work and get some honest critiques that aren't, "What kind of camera do you have?" or "Man you've got a great camera!"

02-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K100D can still be considered a capable camera. I found that in many cases newer gear will not make your photos better, it will only make you lazier, as it is easier to achieve the same result but without playing with tripod, filters and advanced techniques.
That's why cheap cameras are better for learning (and the same for cars).
02-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
cheap cameras are better for learning (and the same for cars)
I definitely agree regarding cameras and cars (I'll add airplanes, too).

As much as I hate to admit it, I got my K100D almost 5 years ago now and I think I've only just started really using it in the last 6 months.