Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #1

New member - old guy!

New member to the forum but have been around for quite a while. I'm getting close to retirement and want to go from a guy who takes pretty good pictures to someone who takes picture that I can be proud of. I have always owned Pentax cameras ever since my wife gave me my K1000 a very long time ago. I got away from photography as a hobby while my kids were growing up and with all the associated activities they were involved in but occasionally I would pull out the camera and get off a couple of rolls and find some very nice stuff in there (my oldest son still has a 36 x 24 hanging in his den of a shot I took of him playing football in high school)
I had used digital cameras for quite a few years at work and took shots using a variety of point and shoots and decided to get something more serious and bought a Pentax K100D super then sold it to buy the K200D, I was given a K10D which I sold to buy the K20D. I now have the 200 and the 20.
I have never enjoyed shooting video and don't feel the need to have my camera have that capability. I get a bit frustrated that the technology seems to make equipment appear to be obsolete within a year or so after it has been released.
I want to be able to continue to use the 2 digital's that I have to take the best possible photographs. I hope this forum can help me get over the nagging feeling that I am using obsolete equipment and the idea that my friends offer that I should switch to a more mainstream camera made by Nikon or Canon.
I am also looking to upgrade my lenses as I am beginning to be able to afford better glass.
The type of photography I enjoy is shooting landscapes (especially at times pre or post storm) Motorcycles, and portraits and some architectural and travel on occasion

02-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! With a K20D and the subjects you prefer shooting I don't see why you'd need to upgrade bodies any time soon. I'm still very happy with my K10D and will keep it as my primary camera for a while longer. Lenses, well there are always reasons to buy new (or new-old) lenses! Congratulations on your impending retirement and just remember to keep photography fun as you pursue it more seriously.