Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Greetings All

Hello: I'm a new member of the Forum and am introducing myself. I'm recently retired and am now getting back to my cameras. I recently purchased a used 645Nii and love the photos it takes, the beautifully large and clear viewfinder and the ease and simplicity of the controls - the easiest camera to use to just "point and shoot" or use either Aperture or Shutter priority !

It's made we want to find an auto focus film and digital with similar controls. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of dealers with supplies of the film cameras in the Denver area - which is where I'm close to.

Can anyone tell me which Pentax film camera has similarly easy controls? As far as the digital, it looks like the K5 is the newest and best with a lot of important improvements.

Would you all agree that the DA FA Limited lenses are the right lenses to use for both auto focus units? Any other really good Pentax lenses?

Once again, glad to be on board.

uswrdm02

02-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! The Pentax XZ-5N/MZ-5N has controls much like the 645NII. Pentax doesn't produce any 35mm film cameras anymore so you'll have to find one second hand. None of the digital SLRs have that "classic" control layout.

To find a film and a digital SLR with similar controls you should look at the PZ (or Z) series of Pentax film cameras (the PZ-1 would be a good choice), and match it with, say, a K-5 DSLR.

Check out our camera database for details.

FA lenses work on film and digital bodies. DA lenses are designed for digital bodies only, they do not cover the entire 24 x 36mm frame of the film format, so you'll get dark corners if you use a DA lens on a film camera (with a few exceptions like the DA 40mm).
02-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks - Good to know about the FA vs DA.

Rich