Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #1

Hai 2 u thar :)

Hello folks, OZ here. The title rings in a bit of my personality (but not my grammar). I just took the leap into the DSLR arena, and after MUCH research value weighing and feature nit picking and questions, all over the internet (but primarily at dpreviews.com, their review and compare system is fantastic) I decided that the K10D would best fit my needs as well as my budget. I still know very little about histograms, color levels, saturation, aperature etc.... but I'm reading up on it. As for lenses... I grabbed 2 pentax lenses, the DA 18-55mm and the DA 50-200mm, as for the other numbers on them, I have no idea what the F4-5.6 means. But I'll learn. I hope to be bringing some nice photography here in time.

I'm from DFW, (Dallas, Ft.Worth) Texas, I'm 26 and for for Texas Instruments. I look forward to a good learning experience and exchange of knowledge with you guys.

OZ

01-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the right place to learn about everything Pentax. You'll find answers to almost everything about the line you need. And if someone here doesn't know, I'll make up an answer that sounds plausible, even if I haven't a clue...

Seriously though. The numbers f4-5.6 refer to the aperture opening on the lens. Inside the lens there are a set of leaves which act the same as the iris in your eye. They open and close to restrict or allow light in to the sensor (or film). The high numbers (f22,32 etc) are when the lens is closed down and very little light gets in. F4 is a moderately "fast" lens. That means a fair amount of light get in and you can then use faster shutter speeds when the lens is wide open. In the zoom world f2.8 is considered very fast and in prime lenses (ones that are a fixed length (no zoom)) they can go to f1.2. the fastest and most common being the FA50mm f1.4. Not always true but as a general rule, the best quality lenses are also the fast ones. But there are some notable exceptions.

ISO, Shutter speeds and Aperture are all interrelated and a good understanding of all 3 is essential.
Strongly recommended is Byran Peterson's book "Understanding Exposure" 2004, it is very good and will explain this an much more in detail. You can find it on Amazon

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-05-2008 at 05:09 PM.
01-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #4

Welcome! I was in your shoes several months ago, and this is the right place for answers! Glad to have you with us here. Soon enough, you'll be entering the contests!!!