Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #1

Greetings from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hello Everyone

Sorry for not having introduced myself earlier. I joined this group while I was searching for some information on the K-r model. I was in a 'rush' then, and didn't get to introduce myself - until I got a reminder to do so yesterday. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude or anti-social. It's just one of those rush-rush moments in life, I guess.

Anyway, my name is "Law Thim Fook", with "Law" as my Family/Surname/First Name, and "Thim Fook" being my actual name. This is common for most Chinese, ie with the Familly/Surname/First Name in front, which is in contrast to 'Western' names, I guess, where the family name is at the end.

I'm a full-time Reiki Teacher cum Therapist, and photography is one of my hobbies. I've lived in Kuala Lumpur since more than 20 years ago, and if any of you guys happen to come to KL, do drop me a mail.

OK, some additional info.

In terms of photography I first started off with the Pentax SFXn - yah, those were the good old film days! A decade plus later (I think), when digital and DSLR first hit the Malaysian shores, I 'retired' the SFXn, and got myself a Nikon Coolpix 5700. Yah, I know, it's only a digital camera, and not a DSLR. But then, DSLRs were sooooo much more expensive than digital cameras - unlike today, where it's more 'affordable.'

After I got a bit pissed off with the after sales for the Nikon 5700, I decided to go DSLR, and got myself the Pentax K-r. I wanted to go back to Pentax, as I remembered that the pics taken were pretty sharp. Besides, my understanding was with Pentax, it's a case of "paying less for more" compared to other brands. However, I'm not sure if this is true anymore, as with time, many things could have changed. And why I opted for Pentax, despite the lack of advertisement and so on - in contrast to Canon or Nikon, is that I could narrow down the choices of cameras vs the oh-sooo-many models being released in a year, for the other brands. Plus, I also was hoping that I could still use the Pentax F lenses - 28-80mm and 70-200mm. That was when I came to this Forum. Yah, I could still use the 2 old good lenses on the K-r! However, there were some fungus on the lenses, and I'll have to send them in for servicing to see if any of the lenses could be salvage. Else, hopefully Photoshop or iPhoto or Aperture could erase the 'blemishes' ..... LOL.

As for the Nikon Coolpix .... well, I've given it away to my nieces for them to play with, and also hopefully, instill a sense of love for photography in them, though I don't expect any Ansel Adams or Henri Cartier-Bresson in them, lol.

After taking more pics with the K-r, I find that the output for some of the pics turn out to be rather different from what I expected, ie compared to the Nikon Coolpix 5700, in terms of Depth-of-Field (DOF). But the colours are .... "Wow! So pleasing to the eyes!" I hope to spend more time familiarising with the K-r to understand more about how it works. There are still some of the functionalities in the K-r which I have not had the luxury to play with yet - "Procrastination, is but the Thief of Time!"

I have also not been actively taking pics in Kuala Lumpur, due to security reasons - despite what the govt say/lie about the crime rate in KL/Malaysia being lower than Singapore or Tokyo. I mean, who would like to go on a field trip, and end up being robbed, including the camera and all. So, I mostly take pics when I'm overseas - which is normal, right?

Well, I also hope to learn more from you guys - whether it's pertaining to the K-r or to photography, as I still consider myself an amateur photographer.

That's all for now, folks!

Regards to all.

Law Thim Fook

02-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Not too great to hear that you don't have as many opportunities to take pics, but I hope that changes!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Thim Fook, and thanks for that informative introduction. Here's hoping that you start taking more photos, so you can share your pictures here.
02-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
Much thanks for your reply, Adam/Arn. Yah, do hope I have more opportunities to take pics. Changes? Well, hopefully we CAN CHANGE the present govt and replace it with a better one, as the current is really, corrupt, corrupt and more corrupt! Hope the Arab Spring sweeps the Malaysian shores soon!

Btw, Arn/etc - I recently took some pics while in Yangon, Myanmar (Dec 2011-Jan 2012), as well as some earlier pics in another state in Peninsular Malaysia .... so OK for me to share the pics here? Any limitation to the file size?

Thanks, everyone, for your warm greetings, encouragement and all.

Regards.

02-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
Much thanks for your reply, Adam/Arn. Yah, do hope I have more opportunities to take pics. Changes? Well, hopefully we CAN CHANGE the present govt and replace it with a better one, as the current is really, corrupt, corrupt and more corrupt! Hope the Arab Spring sweeps the Malaysian shores soon!

Btw, Arn/etc - I recently took some pics while in Yangon, Myanmar (Dec 2011-Jan 2012), as well as some earlier pics in another state in Peninsular Malaysia .... so OK for me to share the pics here? Any limitation to the file size?

Thanks, everyone, for your warm greetings, encouragement and all.

Regards.
02-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

The "How to" thread here is http://https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/forum-suggestions-news-help/314-fo...-features.html
On thst page you'll also find a link for posting photos: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-begi...tart-here.html.
Hope that helps!
03-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply and the links, Arn. Will check them out later. Will try to share a couple of pics for comments.

Regards.