Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #1

Hello from Scotland

Greetings from Jockland.

I'm thinking about buying an Pentax entry level DSLR - something that is easy for an idiot like me to use !!!

Looking for advice etc.

02-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

It depends on what you like to do with it ;-)
I'm fully satisfied with my Pentax K-x. The first investment I did is toy buy a lens. A Sigma 17-75 f2.8. With the normal kid lens (the one of the K-r is very close to the K-x's one) you can make good pictures, but thats the mainpart to improve (with DSLR's from diffrent manufacturers too).
When you start diving deeper into the photography, you might start to make pictures with diffrent lenses. It is a cheaper and an more interesting way buying old ones, which you have to use manually. If you will like to go that way, than is Pentax the best possibility too, because you can screw on lenses most easily, many of them even without adapters.
02-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Depends what you want to take pictures of :-)

As a Scotsman living down in the Lakes I bought a K-X as a first camera a couple of years ago. Great fun and easy to use. AA batteries and small enough to bung in your cars glovebox. Most of the pics in my signature were taken with the K-X. Loved it and should never have sold it.
02-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, good to see another fellow Scotsman.

As for advice, there are heaps of reviews on cameras and lenses on this site. Failing that just ask a more specific question and you will normally get a shedload of replies.

02-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
Depends what you want to take pictures of :-)

As a Scotsman living down in the Lakes I bought a K-X as a first camera a couple of years ago. Great fun and easy to use. AA batteries and small enough to bung in your cars glovebox. Most of the pics in my signature were taken with the K-X. Loved it and should never have sold it.
Some fantastic photos there Mark
02-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks folks.

I'm torn between the K-x and the K-r.

Doesn't seem to be a huge difference in specs between the two - likewise in price, if you search out best deals.

Obviously the K-r is the slightly more recent model - but is it better to a significant degree ?

Any strong opinions from members either way ?
03-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

There are much tests outside, between them two too. When the K-r came out, I had to make a decision, if I change the model or not, sinc i never had monex for them two.

In everything i wrote, the K-r seemed to be a lil bit better in lowlight conditions and faster in focusing, on the other hand, the k-r had issues with frontfocus (the camera focuses on a point before the motive, so the picture wont be sharp). So if you pick a good K-r, its worth it, because of the longlasting akku, the possibilities to use standart batteries too and the better performance. But If you pick only lemens, and a half year before pentax had a lot of it, the K-x would bee even if same priced to the K-r the better choice.

In Shortform. Read the reviews, ask, or findout if Pentax has changed anything in the K-r fixing the issues.

If you pick the K-r, avoid lemons

If you pick the K-x. You will have a Camera with good specs, easy to use and so on. If you are a good photographer you can make nice pictures with that camera (with others too). If you start to learn, both choices are the right ones
03-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
Mirror Slap - what kind of a problem is this ?

Thanks.

Reading through various reviews I've picked up on "mirror slap" (whatever that is) as a problem on the K-x.

What exactly is it - is it still an issue, or has it been resolved ?

Is this some thing I should beware ?

03-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter

So, the mirror noice of the K-x is on the louder side. the
QuoteOriginally posted by macthejock Quote
"mirror slap"
means, that between a shutterspeed 1/60s-1/125s the vibration of the up slapping mirror is so strong, that mainly in combination with shake reduction you receive blurred pictures. honestly, I never had this issues.
If they fixed it or not, I don`t know. I googled that topic and most written issues were about 1,5 years before.

In any means, with any camera. Normally you buy good cameras, but lemons can be always there. If its a new one, you can change it because it is an defect, if its a used one, check it or ask the preowner.

I had no issues, and I think many Pentaxians are satisfied with their cameras. Nothing is perfect, but at least we are so honest, to tell anybody the known issues. the final decision is on you, in any case.
03-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #10

Original Poster
This forum is great - I'm obliged

I get all my questions addressed quickly.

What is the issue about autofocus ?

I've read that there can be a problem in certain situations when shooting at 1/60th to 1/125th -is it connected to the mirror slap situation, or am I confusing two separate problems ?

Also - does it come with a full English language manual, or is it just the basic version ?

I know Olympus owners who regularly moan about not having the complete instructions in English, and having to download and print off many sheets of paper.
03-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
Forum Member

Hello from another Scot on the forum!

I can't help with your specific questions about the k-x as I don't own one, but in terms of general advice, older Pentax lenses can be bought cheaply, and these lenses are compatible with the k-x and k-r although they lack autofocus and the (M, K and screwmount) oldest ones lack auto-aperture so you have to use manual exposure.

In Scotland, Ffordes photographic near Inverness and Cameratiks in Edinburgh both stock used Pentax lenses. I've used them both and can recommend them, and they'll be happy to help you out with questions too.
03-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks Metaphiston

I live in Clackmannanshire, so Inverness is a wee bit too far. Edinburgh is no problem.

I was in Glasgow this week and dropped in on Jessops - they had no K-x or K-r to let me play around with.

We are off to the Canary Islands soon for a week, so I might get a chance to see what's available duty free over there.
03-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

In Edinburgh the Currys on Princes Street has a display k-r you can try, and Jessops and Jacobs at the West End may have, I'm not sure. They both stock pentax cameras, lenses and other accessories though.
03-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macthejock Quote
I live in Clackmannanshire, so Inverness is a wee bit too far. Edinburgh is no problem.

I was in Glasgow this week and dropped in on Jessops - they had no K-x or K-r to let me play around with.

We are off to the Canary Islands soon for a week, so I might get a chance to see what's available duty free over there.
Dixons Travel at Edinburgh airport is pretty good too
03-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

if you do buy the K-X let me know about the manual - I already have one printed off and bound that I can drop off somewhere near you. When I sold the K-X to a guy in Dublin it would have been too expensive to post. Bloody huge.