Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Proud New K1000 Owner

Hi. I am the proud owner of a K1000 I picked up cheap for 12.00. How happy I was that everything worked, and that it takes nice pictures (when operator error does not intrude, at least). Funny thing is that it does not come with the SMC 50mm lens that everyone talks about, but a Sakar 1:2.8 28mm Macro lens.

Anyhow, I have been around the neighborhood, and have snapped off my first roll of 400 ISO Fuji Color film. The results were mixed, but there were 3 that came out nice. I have been reading up on the exposure triangle (ISO, aperture and shutter speed), and have loaded a second roll and am going more slowly, documenting the settings of each shot, and paying more attention to focusing. This is the first camera I've ever had to do more than just press a button, so it's very exciting.

I hope to eventually graduate to other things like digital photography, advanced lenses and such, but for now, I am just learning the principles of photography. And having a blast!

Terry from Southern California

Last edited by Rockinghorse Winner; 03-01-2012 at 10:43 PM.
03-02-2012, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Some photogs are graduating from digital to film these days. Congrats on the K1000, a nearly indestructible workhorse. It will force you to learn the fundamentals and also to slow down and think before a shot, instead of madly firing away as digital tends to encourage. So you've made an excellent choice, and taking notes as you are doing is a great practice.

28mm is an interesting wide field of view on film. If you want a 50mm lens there are some respectable ones that go pretty cheaply, such as the SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm; with a little patience and searching you can pick that one up for under US$50. That would be a good match for the K1000, and, like any K-mount lens, will be usable on a Pentax DSLR (with metering limitations) should you decide to go that route.
03-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Aboard!

Hello Terry, Welcome to the Forum!
The K1000 is a perfect first camera, rugged and capable. Recording your exposure info is a smart idea, it will give you feedback that helps to improve your ratio of "keepers" to misfires greatly.
I agree with Baro-Nite, the M-series 50mm f/1.7 would be a natural next lens, I still use mine a lot, on both digital and film bodies.
If you later add a short telephoto in the 85mm-100mm range, you will have a nice walking-around group of primes for nearly any photo situation.
The 28mm is a fine medium-wide lens on film, wide enough for scenics or group shots, long enough to not have distortion.
Good luck!
Ron
03-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Welcome! Some photogs are graduating from digital to film these days. Congrats on the K1000, a nearly indestructible workhorse. It will force you to learn the fundamentals and also to slow down and think before a shot, instead of madly firing away as digital tends to encourage. So you've made an excellent choice, and taking notes as you are doing is a great practice.

28mm is an interesting wide field of view on film. If you want a 50mm lens there are some respectable ones that go pretty cheaply, such as the SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm; with a little patience and searching you can pick that one up for under US$50. That would be a good match for the K1000, and, like any K-mount lens, will be usable on a Pentax DSLR (with metering limitations) should you decide to go that route.
Thanks, baronite! I appreciate the info. Yes, I know this lens I have is not the best, but it came with the camera so I am taking advantage of the fact that I don[t have to go out and spend money on a lens. So far, it doesn't seem to have any defects, and I appreciate the fact that it can take closeup shots. However, the SMC you wrote about certainly looks like the way to go in the near future.

Thank you for introducing yourself, and I hope to be a regular reader and contributor here going forward. Still only on my 2nd roll of film.

03-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Terry, Welcome to the Forum!
Many thanks, rbefly.

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
The K1000 is a perfect first camera, rugged and capable. Recording your exposure info is a smart idea, it will give you feedback that helps to improve your ratio of "keepers" to misfires greatly.
I agree with Baro-Nite, the M-series 50mm f/1.7 would be a natural next lens, I still use mine a lot, on both digital and film bodies.
If you later add a short telephoto in the 85mm-100mm range, you will have a nice walking-around group of primes for nearly any photo situation.
The 28mm is a fine medium-wide lens on film, wide enough for scenics or group shots, long enough to not have distortion.
Good luck!
Ron
Ah, OK. I appreciate the lens info. Yes, it appears to take sharp photos - I haven't noticed any of them to be particularly 'wide-angle' or anything. They just seem normal shots. Thanks again, and see you later I hope.

Terry