Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Pentax Forum

I have joined this forum, as I have purchased and am awaiting delivery this week of a Pentax K5, 16-50mm f2.8 and 55-300mm f4-5.6 lenses.

I have purchased this gear after careful consideration and reading multiple reviews etc. I have previously owned Panasonic bridge, Nikon D200 and Leica compact cameras - some of these I still have. I am looking forward to using the small, compact high quality APSC DSLR that is the K5.

Budget wasn't a huge issue in this purchase and I could have brought the Nikon D7000 or Canon 7D, but like the combination that the K5 / Pentax lenses offers better for my requirements (still images rather than video, size and weather proof), hence the purchase. I have been mildly amused at some of the angst on forum threads here about Pentax and future developments. I have seen similar sentiments on Nikon and Leica forums when I have participated, and also from top commentators of both other brands. I have concluded that this is just a symptom of a very competitive marketplace. Having carefully researched the current Pentax camera offerings and the current / previous lenses available I have concluded that even if Pentax never made another item there would still be sufficient for my photographic needs for a very long time to come. I have therefore entered Pentax ownership with a high degree of confidence.

I live in NZ and this year I am traveling to Samoa this month, Finland-Sweden-Denmark in June - and probably USA and India later in the year. I am particularly looking forward to using the K5 during this travel to document my experiences.

I am looking forward to being part of the forum, and learning from the discussions and tips for experienced Pentax users.

Regards

Ross

03-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Ross, glad to have you on board.
03-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Eagle
03-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Ross.

03-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Arn. K5 and 55-300 arrived 2 hours ago. Battery is charging read for first shots this evening. Just a little hard to stay focussed at work :-)
03-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kia ora chap. Welcome aboard. You could drag that K5 out tonite and see if you capture some aurora. Could be a goody. Cheers.
03-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome pixelsaurus. I would like to capture some aurora at some stage, but not tonight. I have taken a few test shots with the K5 this evening before dark, and I am very happy with the first attempts, and my K5 purchase. What a sweet little camera.

03-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome NZ_Ross, can't wait to see any images you can share with us. I'm a 7D user because the K5 wasn't around when i was updating from a K200D
03-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Clicker, thanks for the welcome. I am still working my way through how to use the features of this forum, and haven't got to photo posting yet :-). I have a friend who has a 7D - it is a really good camera, and the images he makes are superb. I think once you get into this class of camera then the gear isn't the limitation - which is the challenge :-). I had a good look at the 7D as I have a lot of friends who shoot Canon, and could share lenses, tips etc. I went for the K5 because of the small size, IQ, and WR. I also like the lens backwards compatibility, which will allow me to purchase and play with old manual glass.
03-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ross,
The information for navigating the PF is at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/forum-suggestions-news-help/314-forum-usa...-features.html.
And the info for posting photos is available at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-begi...tart-here.html.
Hope that helps.
03-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Arn, that is really helpful
03-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
First Images from K5

I had about an hour last night after the battery had charged to take my first images with the K5 before sundown. The last of the evening light was streaming in. I was very happy with the results straight out of the camera. Plenty of learning still to happen with using the K5, but for first images, I was happy. Only the purple dahlia image has had any post processing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

NIce job - like the bokeh in #2, and the colour in the last one!
03-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #14
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words Arn. I have been out shooting at the local botanic garden this evening, in between taxi runs for teenagers :-).

To be honest, I had researched how good the image quality from the K5 was, and was expecting it to be high quality, but was just a little bit stunned how good it actually is when making images myself.
03-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another Image - Pink Rose

Pink rose from an evening walk in the Timaru Botanic Gardens. Still very happy with the image quality of the K-5
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo