Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Hello! I like Pentax but don't own one yet

I mostly tend to cheer for the underdog.

I am here because I have been shopping for a DSLR for the last year or so. I am lucky enough to have the ability to try just about any camera. Must say that the K-5 is truly impressive, but, there are far fewer resources for Pentax than the other 2 big camera manufacturers.

Having said that there is something about Pentax that seems legitimate and passionate about photography. I am here to find out more about Pentax and it's users to answer the BIG question... to become a Pentaxian or not.

03-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Louie Welcome, the K-5 is awesome when you get a good one, just do it!
03-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks DaveXT

Is QC an issue then?
03-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Big 2: The Marketing is the Message.

QuoteOriginally posted by Louie C. Quote
Thanks DaveXT

Is QC an issue then?
Yes, QC is an issue. Pentax lenses and cameras produce great IQ.

The young upstarts (Canon and Nikon) produce some cameras and lenses with great IQ too. However, their market share is purely a triumph of big marketing budgets. For example Canon camera marketing has access to profits from the photocopying business. Nikon on the other hand, back in the infancy of SLRs, managed to squeek by the others in the race to bring a full system for its SLR (lenses, motor drives, data backs, bulk film backs, etc.). This captured the tiny but prestigious professional photo-journalist market. They have been leveraging that ever since, to the point of overpricing (relative to actual performance and durability) a lot of their lower to middle price equipment by about 30%.

03-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

OP, you can get a Pentax 10-12 mp used on ebay for peanuts. Buy a few good cheap used lenses and your off. No big deal to check out being a Pentaxian. If you want to progress, lots of fine Pentax glass out there to match the other 2 big guys.

I only shoot Pentaxs that use AA's. So I stick with 6 - 12mp range. Got 6 bodies I bought for next to nothing, so always have backups. If your not making giant poster prints, higher mp is not that big deal.

Good luck!
03-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is QC an issue then?
The K-5 had some QC problems on its introduction. Sounds as though the issues have been worked out. Check the K-5 forum.

The DA* line of lenses uses an internal focus motor (SDM) that has also had its share of problems. I'm the satisfied owner of a DA* 200, but some forum members have sworn off the whole DA* line because of concerns about the reliability of the Pentax SDM system.

Any line of gear will have issues; just trying to give an honest appraisal. I'm very happy with my Pentax gear. Much depends on your particular wants and needs with it.
03-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Yes, QC is an issue. Pentax lenses and cameras produce great IQ.

The young upstarts (Canon and Nikon) produce some cameras and lenses with great IQ too. However, their market share is purely a triumph of big marketing budgets. For example Canon camera marketing has access to profits from the photocopying business. Nikon on the other hand, back in the infancy of SLRs, managed to squeek by the others in the race to bring a full system for its SLR (lenses, motor drives, data backs, bulk film backs, etc.). This captured the tiny but prestigious professional photo-journalist market. They have been leveraging that ever since, to the point of overpricing (relative to actual performance and durability) a lot of their lower to middle price equipment by about 30%.
Excellent intro!

I tried the K-5 with the kit lens and although it's IQ was above average I am trying to build a small but high quality system. The main research right now is glass and lighting and how Pentax will look as a system for years to come.

I definitely believe the Canon and Nikon gear is overpriced by quite a margin. While the announcements have been exciting there is a real polarization between FF and APS-C users on both Canon and Nikon camps.

This community on first impression is great. I believe in helping others who are looking to upgrade their knowledge of photography and everyone has been stellar here so far.

03-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
OP, you can get a Pentax 10-12 mp used on ebay for peanuts. Buy a few good cheap used lenses and your off. No big deal to check out being a Pentaxian. If you want to progress, lots of fine Pentax glass out there to match the other 2 big guys.

I only shoot Pentaxs that use AA's. So I stick with 6 - 12mp range. Got 6 bodies I bought for next to nothing, so always have backups. If your not making giant poster prints, higher mp is not that big deal.

Good luck!
Interesting! Yes I don't doubt that there are some great used options out there. I don't have too many reservations on buying a K-5, but lens choices and lighting methods are my main point of interest at the moment. Thanks!
03-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
The K-5 had some QC problems on its introduction. Sounds as though the issues have been worked out. Check the K-5 forum.

The DA* line of lenses uses an internal focus motor (SDM) that has also had its share of problems. I'm the satisfied owner of a DA* 200, but some forum members have sworn off the whole DA* line because of concerns about the reliability of the Pentax SDM system.

Any line of gear will have issues; just trying to give an honest appraisal. I'm very happy with my Pentax gear. Much depends on your particular wants and needs with it.
The DA* lenses do look good on spec but there isn't much data out there from the usual sources (dxomark.com for example), I want to give the K-5 a go with some 3rd party glass (Tamron, Sigma) looking forward to some fun testing!
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Forum Member

Some QC issues are ongoing and the Australian distributor CR Kennedy are not very helpful.
You may have far better support where you are but here in Australia we pay a premium for poor support.
03-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Some QC issues are ongoing and the Australian distributor CR Kennedy are not very helpful.
You may have far better support where you are but here in Australia we pay a premium for poor support.
In Canada the support is good, I know the rep for Pentax in my region and he has been very helpful, but too busy for my 20,000 questions, hence my interest in this forum. Sorry to hear about AU's distro's poor support.
03-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Forum Member

In Canada the support is good, I know the rep for Pentax in my region and he has been very helpful, but too busy for my 20,000 questions, hence my interest in this forum. Sorry to hear about AU's distro's poor support.
Sounds ideal, just ask what the policy is if they can't repair your camera under warranty.
In Aus they supply you with a refurb which may also fail and then try to give you another refurb unless you jump up and down!
No where near good enough CR Kennedy! I have always had Pentax cameras and probably always will but next time I will buy from overseas as it will be less expensive and I will get better support.
03-05-2012, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

In Canada the support is good, I know the rep for Pentax in my region and he has been very helpful, but too busy for my 20,000 questions, hence my interest in this forum.
Ah, you must be in Sudbury!

You'll actually find far more than 20,000 questions already answered here if you use the right search terms. Seriously, Pentax should be printing this web address on their english-language manuals!
03-05-2012, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Have you tried the offerings from Canon and Nikon? Believe me, once you get to hold a Pentax, you'd seriously doubt getting one from the big two.

as for lens selections, Pentax doesn't offer a lot from its new line-up - the DA line is somewhat still in its infancy. Fortunately you have access to lots of full-frame previous-series lenses that you can fit on current Pentax cameras without a sweat. As for lighting, there's plenty of manual flashes out there!
03-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I love my K-5, love the old lenses available here in Canada, and the availability of newer lenses in the Marketplace. For me, the K-5 fit my hand better than the others, has WR, and image stabilization in the body, and takes great photos. Now, if I can get this photographer to improve...!